Pulling weeds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by skeeta, Jun 18, 2001.

1. skeeta

skeeta LawnSite Member

A regular lawn customer of mine requested the weeds be pulled from her ornamental beds ( no chemicals) so had two guys crawling around with 5 gallon buckets, it took them 20 min, so i charged her $20.; She calls today saying she will pull the weeds herself from now on. She was polite about but i was wondering what some others may be charging to perform this service. im located in south jersey if this helps. Thanks

2. Fallguy

Fallguy LawnSite Member

If you ask me weeding is as hard as landscaping and pretty much falls into the same category - so i charge what landscapers in this area charge for work - $45 - $50 per hour per man - then i try and sell them on a preemergent herbicide application that will need to be done seasonally in most of my yards that will deter any further weed growth if applied often and professionaly - most houses that i do i will charge them what i charge them for a mow to do the beds around there house (assuming that they dont have excessive beds) - i use lesco's SNAPSHOT preemergent herbicide - be carefull that you dont use too much as one handfull will cover a bed 2ft wide and 20ft long (close approximation)- spread it out sparcely - and just for the safe side - i would get a lisense to do it.

3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

we are at 35-40 per man per hour for bed maintenance plus markup on materials. Dave g

4. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

Skeeta,

She probably did some quick math in her head and said hmmm $ 20.00 per week on top of the grass cutting and Ill be eating dog food by the end of the year. You might have wanted to try to sell her on an annual contract with weekly service as it shouldnt take you 40 minutes to keep her weed free on an on-going basis. Explain to her that maintenance is always cheaper then repair. We also do a pre-emergent control app of snapshot and we also use roundup in the beds as many of the ornamental weeds such as mugwart, nutsedge,dandelion and thistle cannot be rid of by handpulling ever. PS You will need a license to apply anythign in NJ

CMerLand

5. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I charge $45/hr for bed main. If they dont want to pay that amount then they can be on there hands and knees.

6. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Your $25 was not bad at all maybe even should have been more for having two guys doing it I charge $40 per hour and $15 more per man or woman on the job.

7. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

That wasn't an unreasonable amount for pulling weeds. You have to figure you paid two guys for twenty minutes of tough labor. Two guys can probably get an average lawn (around here) in the same amount of time, so you have to pay for the time they're on the job.

If it's unreasonable to her, let her be the one to pull the weeds. I do maintenance of several beds now and take about 10-15 minutes per week keeping them in shape for app. $40/month, which comes out to $40-$60/hour when figured up. Some people will pay for that luxury, others won't. For a lot of people, the thinking is that you can just pull their weeds "while you're there", but they don't have to look at your time sheet when all is said and done.

-TGC

8. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

Holloway Lawns,
    I am a little confused on your pricing. Does the $40 include on person's labor? I guess what I am saying is if only one person is on the job, do you charge $40 or $55 per hour. Also is this your minimum? I would appreciate it if others would tell their minimum charge also, if your already there doing other work.

9. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Ornamental weed control is a flat $15.00/$20.00 per weekly visit (for by far most residentials). When it's done every week, it takes maybe 15 minutes or 20 minutes. Usually one guy will blow off and secure the equipment while another guy does the weed control.

10. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Scott

I charge $40 per hr for myself and add $15 per hr for each extra person working the job.