Pulsating Aerator

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GraZZmaZter, May 9, 2003.

1. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

I have a bluebird aerator with a 3 horse briggs and stratton motor.

It will idle fine, but when the RPM's are increased it starts to pulsate. It does this all the way up to full throttle.

However, when the tines are engaged, it purrs like a kitten.

Ive checked everything i can think of to no avail. Anyone have an ideas what could be causing the pulsating?

Thanks in advance.

2. vroom vrroom vrroom......

Bad gas maybe.

Old plug repace it.

Clean air filter

Clean oil.

3. GraZZmaZter

Oil is fresh (barely a dark tinge)

Stabilizer was put in it last fall, and fresh gas was added this spring.

Filter wasnt too bad, but i cleaned it anywho.

Ill throw a new plug in there and see what that does.

Thanks Mike.

4. I asked clean oil, but I also ment oil level?

PLug could be fouled out too.

5. deason

deason LawnSite Member

Worn governer or out of adjustment.

Whats happening is when there is no load on the engine, the governer is dumping gas, then the engine races, then the governer backs off, the engine comes down, and so on. When it gets under load, it it uses the xtra fuel it is dumping and doesnt surge.

6. GraZZmaZter

I was thinking about that also deason. However i am not too familiar with governors. And i don't have a manual for it.

The other problem is i have no idea where this thing came from. I got it 2 years ago when i bought out a local LCO's co. Ive asked my local dealers who sells bluebird aerators and they are clueless. All i know is that home depot rents them. I am thinking i will have to ask them.

Mike - the oil level is right at the top where it should be.

7. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

My edger does the same thing, a 3hp JD.

Not a big deal for the few minutes it get used a week. But it probably should be put on the fix it list.

8. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I think this is the distributor for your area, they should be able to direct you to the nearest dealer

PACE, Inc.
    739 S. Mill Street
    Plymouth, MI 48170-1821
    (734) 453-6258
    (800) 686-3128

9. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

Yopu shouldn't have to take it to a Blue bird dealer, just take it to your local shop, even lesco could probably fix that. Sounds to me that the carb needs adjusted.

10. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this a standard Briggs, or an I/C engine? I've never had problems wih I/C's, but years ago my mechanic fixed similar problem on a standard Briggs. Never asked exactly what he did, but it involve the head. If it is not I/C, let me know and I can contact him. He knew exactly what it was when I mentioned problem to him.