Pump and spigot?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Nov 18, 2007.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

We are bidding on a system and the homeowner wants a spigot tied into his pump. A submersible pump will be used by the well driller. He told the homeowner he would use a pressure tank and he could have his remote spigot for watering trees manually. Our experience with submersibles has been directly from a river that comes off a pump start and feeds the valves directly.

How is this spigot going to turn on the pump? Will a pressure switch be used and wire run back to the pump start we will use?

John

2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

if he's using a pressure tank it'll be just like a house. open valve water comes out, not need for psr because the pressure tank handles that. only down side it you'll probably get less h20/min

3. No need for a pump start when using a pressure switch...
    Example if you have a 40/60 pressure switch... when the pressure drops below 40psi the pump will run until it reaches 60psi and then it will cut off...

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

There is also a device that can allow constant spigot watering, which can be useful, since you can't count on the hose usage matching the pump output, and a mismatch can lead to short-cycling of the pump. It goes upstream of the pressure tank and pressure switch.

5. jcom

I had planned on using a pump start for the irrigation part of this system. Valves would be 30' from the pump and 75' from the spigot, approx..

If the pump is on a pressure switch for the spigot, would it not be hooked to a relay for pump power?

Again, I have not hooked up to one of these systems before so I have questions.

Is a pressure switch relay hooked to the common of the pump power or how is that wired? I will not be doing the wiring other than to the pump start from the controller if needed. I am a bit leery of using only a pressure switch along with my irrigation valves in case one of them would fail. More comfortable with a pump start off the controller.

Thanks for the help.

John

6. jcom

What is that device, Boots, and where can I learn about it?

John

7. Wet_Boots

8. Pressure switch is hooked up just like a pump start relay.... its either pump start or a pressure switch....I have installed a few systems off of pressure switches and I use a master valve, just in case a zone hangs open.

9. Wet_Boots

Flow control valves throughout, for the most reliable well-supplied system. If there is any cycling, it will tend to shorten the life of a diaphragm, so having flow-control valves throttled down will help assure reliable valve closing.

10. jcom

I visited with the well driller about this and he said he would be using a small pressure tank and homeowner would have no problem using small amount of water off the spigot as needed.

Will a pressure tank allow this to work without damaging the pump?

John