Pump Belt Super Z destroyed 50 hours...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JohnBanks, Jun 22, 2010.

1. JohnBanks

JohnBanks LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

This was annoying today. Not warrantied, said it probably was a stick...maybe so but Deere would have warrantied it...

Also that spring is devastating in wet grass, idler pully about took off my finger trying to get the belt on.... Yeah for breaking things, and for weak warranties.

Also thanks for giving us a crappy choice in blades..

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

There is a wide veritity of blades on the market for Hustler. What is your deck size? Pratice makes perfect on the belt change, very simple. You need to carry a spare with you, that belt is prone to stick damage. You also need to keep that idler pully greased,often, because the bolt wears and idler pully gets cockeyed and the belt keeps poping off. Hustler idler pully mounting bolts are a bad design.

3. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I had the same thing happen in less than 5 hrs., I am positive something (probably a stick) popped up just right, got between the belt and pulley causing it to jump off. My dealer is a personal friend, and he gave me another belt, one he was not compelled to replace because it was not any fault of the mower but an accident caused by a freak occurrence.

4. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Mine just broke today on my last lawn . They are a pain I bought a new belt that was the same size but could not get the spring on. So I tried it and it worked long enough without the tensioner to finish mowing my lawn and to show it to someone who bought it tonight. I just have to fix the belt tensioner. So I'm looking for a new mower.

5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

What was the problem given to you by the belt?

6. MJB

from Wa

The belt just broke and in a hurry I bought one a little to small and couldn't get the spring hooked up to the tensioner.

Have you heard anything negative about the BB Outlaw from your dealer ? I am very close to ordering one on monday.

7. MS_SURVEYOR

MS_SURVEYOR LawnSite Bronze Member

I was at my dealer today buying engine, hydro, and air filters. I asked the parts man if they has any Outlaw's in stock. He just looked at me, shock his head, and said, "we can't keep them in stock."! That kind of took me by surprise being this is Exmark country. My wife then noticed that all the Toro's were gone from that dealership. But to answer you question, No! I've not heard any thing in person about the Outlaw. The strange thing about going there today was everybody was relaxed and happy. And the mower tech was clean enough to be a salesman. That kind of makes me wonder some. :rolleyes:

:drinkup:

8. MJB

from Wa

Same here. Everyone I have talked to says nothing negative just can't find one yet to buy. I heard a shipment was coming in to Seattle I may have to drive to get one if I get in a bind. I think they are still 3 weeks out if you order one. Which is not bad just I want to cut with one before I oull the trigger. Hate to buy anything without trying it out first.

9. JohnBanks

JohnBanks LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

That was small belt to work without the pully.... It is easy to put on with mower off ground, laying in dirt and tall grass made it suck

10. demhustler

demhustler LawnSite Bronze Member

could be debree between belt & pulley, - or could be belt (some belts do, but some don't last long in such extremely hot area in SZ: pumps cooling plus engine like Kohler28hp shoots not only hot air under mower, but part of exhaust also)
    - but... after couple of belts - you'll be glad it just a belt (even it's hot, no room - you'll use to it (PTO belt -off, pump belt - on pulleys except idler, pull idler with your fingers , snap belt on it (spring seems tight, but actually-pussy, on one of our SZ it even attached not to stock hook(welded), but separate bolted hook 4 more tension, - still, changing belt on the ground - not convenient but not big deal, just bit PITA)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010