Pump GPH = ??

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by VO Landscape Design, Feb 3, 2009.

1. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

Is there a formula to figure out the minimal to maximum a pump needs for water. Say you have a 150gph pump how much water do you need for the pond, or vice versa. Say you have a 500 gallon pond/water feature what is the size of pump you would need? I want to start with some small water features at first then build as I get more experience. Have seen some good pumps on sale but need to know what size volume of water they would need.
    Thanks
    VO

2. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

Your question is a bit confusing. The size of pump (flow rate) that is needed is dictated by the size and TYPE of Water Feature. You usually don't buy a pump then design a Water Feature around it. You design the feature first, then determine what Flow Rate you either need or would like.

3. landscaperbob

landscaperbob LawnSite Member

Generally you want to turn your pond volume (gallons) over at least once an hour. More = better to a point. When you fill your pond keep track of how long & how many gallons/minute your hose gives you. (see how long it takes to fill a 5 gal. bucket- divide that # into your total time) 1,000 gal. pond = min 1,000 gph. (I double that in my installs)

4. XStream Aquatics

XStream Aquatics LawnSite Member

Also the size weir you use along with the size biofilter. Don't always go for the pump that's on sale.

5. Chrysalis

Chrysalis LawnSite Member

Small waterfalls and large bubblers I would use a Cal Pumps Mag Drive 1200 and push the energy conservation aspect of it. dont start off with little tiny 150 gallon per hour pumps unless its just a fountain, You can get incredible prices at aquaticponds.com/

They have a Mag Drive 5200 GPH on there for about $160, and that thing rocks! 5 one and a half inch pipe outlets and you wont even need valves.

If you go to a local 'Build a Pond' day would help you learn how to do projects effectively also.