pump me up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikey, Feb 1, 2002.

1. mikey

mikey LawnSite Member

thinkin of startin out this spring and need a little kick in the ass
    afraid im not gonna make any $$$ .my problem is that im gonna have to start out with my 94 xplorer and buy a 6x10 or 6z12 trailer and hook it up.Afraid that i might look unprofessional when i pull up to their house.I need to use this truck cuz i cant afford a better truck right now.i used to have a steady paycheck and now im layed off and im afraid i might not be able to pay bills and a;ll the other crap plus im getting married in june .Didi all u guys go thru this wehen u first started out to?

go pats!!!!!!
  2. Downeast

Downeast LawnSite Bronze Member

mike I know this carpenter that has long scragly hair.scragly beard , carries his tools around in an old dodge passenger van loolin like the beverly hillbillies , wears dirty scrubby looking swim trunks and sneakers to work {his jobs }.But he is sought after and has a very good clientel because he is very good at what he does ,and he pays me very well when I work for him.

are you related to marky mark?
    Go Pats
  3. stahls2

stahls2 LawnSite Member

I thought the same way. However, once I started speaking with potential customers and listening closely to their prior complaints about their former LCO's. I believe customers just want a good job done. Make them feel as though they are important to you and your business. (Which they are! No customers, No business!) Be honest, do a good job, charge what you have to and customers will come.

For Example.
    I had a potential customer call me the other day. He stated he had been through several LCO's throughout the years and was tired of paying LCO's to blow grass in landscape beds, destroying turf, and doing a poor job in general.
    He stated at least ten times that money was not an issue. He told me to charge whatever, just as long as I did a good job.

Some may believe this guy is going to be trouble to work for. And he just may be. I see this as an opportunity for me to make money and make him happy in the mean time.
  4. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes it gets confusing listening to everybod's input?
    I am glad of Lawn Site. Do not get me wrong but,........

Sometimes it's good to sit down.... & Listen to yourself?

#1- Are you willing to do what you plain on doing no matter
    what input you get?

#2 - I learned that the answers you want to hear.... Are always
    not what you get.

#3- Have a mindset.. that no matter what, I am still going
    to do what i first planned on doing. No matter "Good Or Bad"

#4- I am just starting out also.. & I REFUSE to give up !!!!!!!

Feel free to E-mail me w/any questions..........

:blob4: REFUSE
  5. david griggs

david griggs LawnSite Member

when i first started out i was useing an old black camero and two 21' snappers in the trunk! no one ever said anything about it beacause i did a good job. people like determination more than a brand new shiny truck. at least yours is probaly paid for! if your happy then thats all that matters.
  6. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

My brother and I are starting out this year too, and I am 16 and i don't get my licence until late July. Until then, we're going to have to either walk from yard to yard (if they're in the same neighborhood) or my dad to drop us off. I can't wait till i get my licence!
  7. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing personal but, why in the world would you get married right now and what girl would marry a guy in your situation, also what dad would let his daughter marry you right now? Would a man want to make a woman live under these conditions? A good guage to use for a man to decide if he can afford to get married, Can you live on a tenth of what you make?

Get yourself together first. Get a business plan together. Get a market plan together. (Got to the SBA web page, they will help you.) Over 75% of new business' fail because they don't plan to succeed.

Fail to Plan, Plan to Fail!!
  8. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

sell your 94 explorer for a used pick-up truck to start.... and make do with what ever other equip. you can afford.
  9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

10. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

We used to have a system that worked for thousands of years. Todays system, brought to us by the free love hippies of the sixties, where you send your 16 yo daughter out and hope she gets knocked up by mister right, I just don't believe is working.

The advice I gave was to encourage the guy to have a plan, including picking a mate for life.