Pump not pumping

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by P & L Turf, May 11, 2006.

1. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

Today I got clearance from my back doc to do some real light work. So I figure I'll fill the tank with water to see if it's got any leaks. Now this is a brand new unit I just picked up this winter, so this is its trial run. Well after filling it half full ,I check to make sure everythings primed and what not, so I fire it up and it's running at a real high RPM even on low throttle. So I shut it down check things over and restart it. This time everythings fine, but now the pressure gauge reads zero and I've got nothing coming out of the hose. Does anyone got some opinion on this or know what to do. Otherwise I'll be calling the company tomorrow and tell them to come and pick this thing up.

2. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Check all fittings first. You may be sucking air.

know you said it was primed but thats what it sounds like./

3. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

Hey, what kind of pump? If it is a D30 or 50 you may have too much pressure on the top diaphram and it inverted it. Pull the top diaphram cover off and check. This happen to me earlier this year and thats what it was. This happens when your head air pressure is higher than your discharge pressure or it runs dry and has nothing to push against.

4. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

The pump is a series 6500 6-roller pump. It's on a 5.5 horse briggs and scrap iron. I got the unit from Turrbo turf. I read all the instructions, and they don't really help. They don't really explain to much.

5. Cheryl

Cheryl LawnSite Member
    from Florida

P&L I believe, the 6500 is a low RPM pump that runs counter rotation to most gas engines. You can get it to work (rotate the shaft, or/and use pulleys to slow it down or/and change rotation), but it is not worth the hassle. The 4100 series is the most popular for connecting directly to a gas engine.

If this is your first experience with the pump, and you have the motor directly coupled to the shaft, it is probably running backwards.

6. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I use HYpro Roller pumps. I believe the 6500 is meant to run 540 rpms. Check your lines. Sometime hoses get old and collapse.