pump pressure problems

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by dakotaernie, Jul 23, 2006.

1. dakotaernie

dakotaernie LawnSite Member

I've got the same problem on two different systems at 2 locations. pump pressure switches clicking on and off. adjusted pressure settings on both and that worked for awhile then started again. thanks for advice.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Could be a number of things.

Do either of these pumps have pressure tanks? What size pumps, what is their GPM output, and how many GPM is zone using?

3. dakotaernie

both have pressure tanks. both systems have been working fine for 5 years.

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I've witnesses rapidly opening and closing pressure switches caused by internal leaks in the pressure tank.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Are the tanks the 'captive air charge' type? Older style tanks will lose their air charge, and need re-pressurized on a regular basis, if they don't have air control devices.

6. dakotaernie

pressure tank leak is also what i was kind of thinking. thank you.

7. dakotaernie

both are captive air 1 installed by another person earlier this year and 1 approx 5 years old.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Since you have a small electric air compressor, in order to deal with this stuff, it won't be hard to check, and repressurize any tanks that need it.

One other source of pressure switch problems can be a buildup of particles/rust in the pipe that feeds the pressure switch. I've seen some that were almost totally clogged.