Pump Q

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by EO1CB, Aug 17, 2007.

1. EO1CB

EO1CB LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I have a quicky to test the great minds out there.

Ive got 3 residentials that want to use one well. currently the well is on a pressure switch hooked up to the house in the middle. My problem is, the three homeowners wants power ran from all three houses so that they all can pay for the electricity individually.

Im thinking of just installing a second electric meter on the house with the pump.

I guess my question is, is their a pump start that allows 3 power sources to activate one pump.

ANy help would be great.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You can get small auxillary electric meters, to total up the power consumed by the pump.
  3. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

what happens when one guy sells his house and the new owner doesnt want to share the system with his neighbor?
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Absent a powermeter, there's always a simple elapsed-time indicator. Count the hours, and apply a cost factor.
  5. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy LawnSite Member
    from NJ

There are motor starters that can be ganged together so that one starter locks out another so that only one starter can be "on" at a time. I've seen this done with motors that needed to be reversed or with motors that need different windings energized for different speeds.

Allen Bradley makes motor starters that can do this. They're not cheap.

Although it's done in industrial controls, I'm not sure it's legal for what you're trying to do. The National Electrical Code only allows one electric feed for any building. But if the pump's not in a building, it might be legal.

Since I make my living repairing this sort of stuff, I'd be real concerned with protecting whoever had to work on this thing later. With three sources of power to the pump, I don't know if you could come up with a safe way to do do this. By the time the guy making repairs figures out that there are three different sources of power, any one of which could come on at any time, it might be too late.
  6. Ditto to Maintenance guy. (I know nothing about pumps but you are the guy I'd hire if I could)
  7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Double ditto..it's like having a generator if the power goes off & proper
    shut-offs are not installed to back feed the main.:nono:
  8. EO1CB

EO1CB LawnSite Member

I agree 100% Maintenanceguy, the logistics of maintaning the system could be tricky later on. I talked with the homeowners today and gave them one option, and that is too install a second electric meter.

Thanks for your input.
  9. EO1CB

EO1CB LawnSite Member

Good point, but you know how people think. Live for the moment and do it now.
  10. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

a couple of suggestions??
    1) meter how much power the pump takes to run off which ever meter it is currently running off of, and also meter the gallons used, then install one water meter per house on the main lines heading to their respective site... you know it takes x kw/hrs to move y gals of water... so each of them needs to pay their percentage
    2) have a communal power meter put in and have them split the bill based on their gal/month usage (still need a water meter on each main line)
    3) forget this job, it ain't going to end well... sounds like working for a church, too many bosses and people w/ opinions