1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pump question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Rainman7, May 11, 2007.

1. Rainman7

Rainman7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I am working on a house that has had a 1.5hp booster pump installed. Heres the flow...

In from street -ball valve- tee..one side of tee to booster pump, from booster pump to house/irrigation system (Pressure tank between pump and house/irrigation).

This is fine, but the other side of the tee goes into a spring check valve and then also feeds the house/irrigation system.

This was done about 20 years ago and the pump went a few years back which I replaced. When the pump kicks on there is a heavy banging in the pipes which will eventually cause some kind of failure down the line. On top of that there is about 75' of pvc sprinkler main running through the basement.

I feel the banging is caused by the spring check on the other side of the tee and it should be replaced by a ball valve.

Any thoughts
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Is the tank waterlogged? Which way is the check valve oriented? Could it be a bypass, to prevent deadheading?
  3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Here we go again. What is it with you "Left-out Coasties" and your love of running PVC pipe through basements? :laugh:
  4. Rainman7

Rainman7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

The check valve is flowing from street to house. The tank is fine. The check valve prevents bypass, but I would think for a split second, that check valve is at least partially open and is being pulled and pushed closed at the instant the pump starts creating the bang. The pressure tank/switch prevents deadheading.
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I was trying to recall a 'backwards' installed check valve I've seen described, where it would create a loop, and provide some backup, in the case of a failed pressure switch.
    If you know for a fact that the tank isn't waterlogged, you might cut a gate valve into the bypass line.