Pump question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Q-Team Inc, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Q-Team Inc

Q-Team Inc LawnSite Member

What is your opinion on pumping out of a river. There is about 60'-70' in elevation change and would be running about 150'+/- to the manifold. A Goulds pump rep. said to go with a submersible and to have a good filtration system. Whats your opinion on this? This is my first install(its for free at a relate!!). Please give me feedback or any ideas.
    Thanks

2. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on debris in the river. The sub might be harder to filter if needed than a centrifugal with a foot valve. I was told once by a Meyers distributor that the subs like to be hung not layed on their sides. Good question to ask the Goulds rep. Your gonna need a kick but pump to over come the elevation and stil have plenty of head on the irrigated area. A submersible would eliminate any flooding problems if they occur at this site.

3. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

Although alot of guys do it, I never did feel comfortable about using a Submersible pump in a body of water with wires going to it. Even with Using a GFCI breaker. Today, Our country graduates more Lawyers than engineers and I feel there is a bit more potential for things to go wrong with wires running through the water to the pump.
    I would use a Flint and Walling 2 HP or 3 HP 3 stage pump.
    You will probably have to use 1 1/2 Inch PVc Pipe for the main line.