Pump relay cycling on 2 zones

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by lehrjetmx, May 19, 2008.

1. lehrjetmx

lehrjetmx LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

This one I'm not too sure about. I think I know but then again I could be wrong so that brings me here. New system just installed 2 zones of 4 rotors each equal 8 gpm. Then I have 2 zones of sprays heads 6 gpm and 6 gpm and the only reason they were spilt was one runs a small garden and the other runs a flower bed both with different watering needs. The 2 spray zones I have the pump relay cycling. Oh the system pressure is 9 gpm with a pressure tank. This well once ran the house water and now is just for the irrigation. Tell me what you guys think thanks again for the help.

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Huh?........Try running the zones simultaneously.

3. lehrjetmx

from Jersey

will try this afternoon thats what I thought but what do I do about the different needs for the garden vs the flowerbed?

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

'Over-nozzle' the small zones, to match up with the pump output.

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

What he said.

6. nylan8888

nylan8888 LawnSite Member

7. lehrjetmx

from Jersey

I hooked up both zones and the pump stopped cycling as you all thought. I will try to match the nozzles to the pump now and see what happens. What are your thoughts on double up on the zones. If I used the same output zone for both valves. Never done it before but GOD knows I've come across a ton of them.
    Thanks again guys

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If the watering needs are really different, you'd want to separate the zones again, and re-nozzle them to match the pump output. You really want to have this figured out before the system is designed.

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Got that right....another method would be to assign the zones to different
    programs with the same start time,& add a drip zone to come on when
    one zone shuts down to take up the slack.

10. lehrjetmx

from Jersey

We had the original plans laided out to have all the sprays running the same time. The home owner then requested to have them split due to the garden. So it was good until then I did what he requested of course for a fee but now I have this problem. I have to get into the books to see what nozzles i can use to max out the gpm.