Pump Start..how would you do it?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by SprinklerGuy, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Ok..my first pump system....

They have a well....that is dedicated to irrigation only.

It is on a switch....the pump that is. They have a pressure tank, but a small one...less than 20 gallons. I don't want the pump cycling on and off.....

How and where do I wire the pump start...I have NEVER used that feature of a timer before...excuse my ignorance, but I'm from the big City where they have muni water... ;)

thanks

PS
    If you start ripping me...I will delete this thread ;)

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

What a moron!!:laugh: :laugh:

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I only have a handful of well systems and am not your best source of info for that. But when do you want help pulling the pipe for that install? Or are you trenching instead?

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry Tony... can't be of any help here either. Although half our sites are on pumps they're the large commercial type with very large pressure tanks. They don't start via a relay rather pressure/water differential. And since electricians and plumbers are the ones that service/repair our pumps I have little practical experience in that area.

5. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

The pump start relay can be wired to the master valve if there is no pump start on the controller.

6. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

what timer are you using? the only setup i've used is the hunter relay and pro-c

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Your solution is simple. Pretend you are still on city water. The only difference is that you should probably install a strainer in the sprinkler supply line. What matters most is that you match system flow to well flow. PGPs work best for this.

8. So the switch for the pump will stay in the ON position

Check valve necessary?

I don't really want that well pump kicking on all the time.....if the pressure tank has a leak or the well head leaks or anything like that...I don't want that constant bombardment from the well pump.

Dana...shooting for Tuesday..depending on today.....have some truck repair to do :(

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Is this not a pressurized set-up? I inferred the existence of a pressure switch here. A pressure switch is cheaper than a pump relay, if it comes down to your installing one or the other.

10. speedbump

speedbump LawnSite Member

If you want to leave it on the pressure switch so people can hand water or wash the dog. You can install a Cycle Stop Valve. This will prevent the pump from cycling with even the smallest zone. You can get them in preset pressures or adjustable. Or if you just want it on a Pump Start. Get rid of the pressure switch and tank. Install the Pump Start right where the pressure switch was if you like. Then run 24 volts from the timers motor terminal and a neutral to the Pump Start.

bob...