Pump start relay makes loud buzzing

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ArTurf, Jul 14, 2012.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

The relay makes a REALLY loud buzzing noise when a station is turned on and the pump does not turn on. This definitely is not a normal electrical buzz. It is more like the contactor rapidly closing and opening, almost violently. Any thoughts?

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

measurements?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

I didn't have any irrigation tools with me at the time. Just wanted to get some opinions before I go back to the site.

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

contactor is not pulling in. Did you do a screw driver test? Be careful you could die if not experiance in testing contactors like this.

5. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

I understand how contactors work but I'm not familiar with the screwdriver test. Can you describe. What are you trying to determine?

6. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I force the contactor in to see if if the pump / EQ runs.

Not the best method but short of meters, it is a quick and potentially dangerious test.

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If the pump breaker/disconnect can be accessed, maybe remove power from the pump, and see what the contactor does.

8. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with Duekster; probably the contact is chattering; check all your connections including the ones from the breaker and the controller.

Out of curiosity, what type of relay is it? I've had problems like this with Hunter pump start relays.

9. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

It is a homemade one from basic electrical components. I will go back to site Monday and check it out.

10. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Be careful and wear gloves Arthur
    Posted via Mobile Device