Pump Start Relay Question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jvanvliet, Feb 20, 2012.

1. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Anybody familiar with a TECO 220VAC single pole 7.5 HP pump start relay model 130674 and TECO "Ice Cube" relay model GMC-6M?

Rainbird ESP M controller; 7.5 HP 220VAC Single phase Baldor motor.

Everything wired correctly (as far as I know). Turn on breaker & trips master breaker (40AMP) Disconect ice cube from the master valve terminal on the time clock & no line problem.

Swapped controllers; same symptoms.

WTF?

Need pictures? Will provide.:dizzy:

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Does the Baldor motor run at all without tripping a breaker?

3. jvanvliet

Yes it does.

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

:hammerhead:sorry, read the post wrong:hammerhead:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  5. Wet_Boots

Maybe there are burned contacts on the relay. I can't imagine anything in a power relay that itself would present a short, although you'd check it with a meter anyway. You also want might current readings on the motor.

6. jvanvliet

Did that, all is nominal.

Only time it trips the breaker is when I hook up to the MV block on the controller. Checked voltage from the transformer 26v (+ -) steady. Checked ground, checked common, checked line/load, amperage; double checked wiring everything OK.

Possibly a bad ice cube relay, will disconnect & replace the ice cube from the relay and see what happens.

Would like to call the manufacturer.

7. Wet_Boots

Why not feed the power relay directly from a separate 24vac wallwart?

8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

i had a similar situation with a goldline aqua-logic complete controller for a saltwater swimming pool. all wiring was good and all measurements on line. called the manufacturer and got the runaround from the troubleshooter. i must of called the troubleshooting line a dozen times and was on hold talking to the secretary, just bsing when she asked if i had run my finger under the backside of the relay when it was off? there was a titt that when open could be felt and was flush to the surface when closed. this relay was stuck mid span allowing it to arc and trip the breaker. i sent her flowers :)

post some pics

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  9. Wet_Boots

Those kind of flaws are what I expect would be caught out before a device ever got official approvals. Then again, I installed any number of Febco 805Y DCVAs, and we know how they've been doing.

Anyway, I think the icecube relay would be incapable of tripping a pump's breaker, no matter what.

10. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

that's why i'd like to see some pics