Pump Start Relay Question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jvanvliet, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I'm still not getting the idea of the icecube relay being at fault. It never sees the load of the motor, and it draws from a controller that would cut off its power if it were in any way an overload.

2. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

You're right; suspect the 24V transformer at this point, will post pictures this PM. :wall

3. Wet_Boots

If you feed the pump relay directly with 24VAC, and leave the controller out of it, you may learn more. (assuming it is a relay with a 24VAC coil)

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

i think you may have eliminated the controller when you swapped it out for another, the transformer reads 26vac constant and the pump is working without the cube installed.

i wonder if the cube itself or the wiring to or from the cube is compatable as installed.

can you post a link to the PSR and the cube?

5. Wet_Boots

I don't see either a controller or a cube relay as even touching the 40-amp pump circuit. Apply power to the pump relay coil directly, and see if the pump keeps running.

6. Wet_Boots

TECO has a website, but "model 130674" doesn't scan. They have a DPA 2040 relay with a 7.5 HP rating for single-phase 240VAC

7. jvanvliet

Here's the problem; the controler is wired into the same 40 amp breaker as the motor :dizzy:

Draw on the Baldor is just over 36 amps +10% gets me to 39.6 max load, this combined with the controller is apparently enough to trip the breaker.

The pump station is in a remote location, pulling an additional line is too costly; I'm thinking of having the electrician replace the breaker with a 50 amp and setting the relay to trip @40 amps. Or I could suspect the breaker is bad and replace it with a new 40amp and pi$$ away some more time. The controler, well eh, they are cheap.

8. jvanvliet

I got the model # from Palm Beach Electric Motor who sold the unit. I've been busting a gut looking for some specs on it.

Was that TecoWestinghouse?

9. Wet_Boots

Does the controller have a choice of input voltage? Changing it to 240 from 120 would cut the current draw in half. You may not have the luxury of changing to a 50-amp breaker, depending on the wiring.

TECO is Chinese, so far as I can tell - it looks like you are running a motor that should have a higher ampacity circuit. Maybe someone bumped up from 5 HP

10. Wet_Boots

Here's the TECO DPA relays

TECOrelays.jpg