Pump Start Relay Question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jvanvliet, Feb 20, 2012.

1. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

That's exactly what happened. Half ass: burned out POS K-Rain relay, wiring melted and fubared, nobody knows WTF? Guy who originally installed it is history. It's not all bad though payup Thumbs Up

The line on this pump station comes off a 50amp breaker in a sub-panel by to pool area about 100ft away. I'm going to call in my electrician and see if we can swap breaker at the pump, or by pass it completly and install a switch.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Controller power transformers are going to be standard components - maybe Rainbird has an export model of the controller, and its power transformer might make a fit, if it came down to saving a fraction of an amp, which of course it shouldn't have to.

3. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

What is the amperage draw on each leg while pump is running?

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

thinking loose neutral sprinkus?

5. jvanvliet

You mean at the motor?

6. jvanvliet

Will have to check, tomorrow. :)

7. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

First thought is that the controller and pump start on one side of the circuit could be causing a current imbalance to the pump. (Too much current draw on the one leg tripping breaker)
    Second thought is that there may be a fault in the wiring to the panel, to the pump, or in the pump itself, which is causing the breaker to trip.
    Third thought is that I need another pain pill to think clearly. :cry:

8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

i truely wish i could come down there and help you out, with the work load that is.

i have had loose neutrals on mains that read 120vac +/- on one side and as low as 17 vac on the other. the imballance on a 220 circuit might be enough to trip the breaker but i think i would lean more toward wiring.

9. jvanvliet

I'll check the wiring again. I'm pretty good making sure it's all as tight as a clams butt. But you never know...

I'll check the voltage again.

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If the pump-start relay has a 120VAC coil, it might be arranged for it to draw from a different leg of the 240 volt circuit than the controller does, saving maybe half an amp or so. :)