Pump Start Relay Question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jvanvliet, Feb 20, 2012.

1. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

The TECO was installed by me. As Sprinkus said, I need the ice cube because the controller puts out 24V to the Master valve, and the PSR is a 110V coil (Mike, the Ice Cube is a 24V switch that sends a 110V to the PSR.)

It's the first Teco I've installed but not the first PSR. I've had to use ice cubes with the older Rainbird LX series (dominant in my market area). Hoover Systems on the other hand use a 110V.

I would not consider using a Hunter, k-Rain or Orbit PSR's on commercial installations.

I'm going to re-check all the wiring (3rd time) then test, if no success , I'll by pass the sprinkler sub panel. I still think I have a load issue, 40AMP is on the cusp for a 7.5HP motor and controller.

Great input, I really appreciate it, Thanks!

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Some pump relays with 24VAC coils will be seen as short circuits by modern controllers, so the icecube relay serves as intermediary

3. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Can you temporarily choke back the pump output at a gate/ball valve, just enough to restrict some of the flow out of the pump, and check if it pops the breaker?

4. Sprinkus

Especially the controller that's being used.
    That particular model has given me problems before. :rolleyes:

5. Wet_Boots

I wouldn't worry about a Hunter PSR - at most they contribute the case, as witness the Square D relay in post #37

6. Sprinkus

I assume this was just written wrong. :confused:

7. Wet_Boots

maybe the system's in Australia :p

8. jvanvliet

220VAC single pole

220VAC single phase :eek:

one pole is not enough, you'll need one pole and a russian :laugh:

9. jvanvliet

I can throttle back the pump if I can get it to run through the PSR, but the breaker trips immediately after I re-set it. When I disconnect the Ice Cube, no problem.

That's what has me so messed up. All the wiring is proper and tight in the blocks or caps.

I suppose I could bypass the PSR, throttle the pump back some and see if the increased load will trip the breaker.

I have pictures but can't find the USB cable to get them off the camera. :mad:

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks, Boots. Sure had me confused. :dizzy: