Lawn Care Forum banner

Pump Start relay

14K views 100 replies 9 participants last post by  Wet_Boots 
#1 · (Edited)
here is the setup trying to help my pop out

3/4HP Goulds model C6470164 (pump is 20 yrs old) lake pump plugged into outlet 10 feet from shoreline 115 line run from outside outlet to a 30 amp circuit which is on the main electrical panel for house

Coming directly off the pump has a 4 valve spicket like this http://www.berryhilldrip.com/images/62032FauPic.jpg in which 3/4 inch polyethylene tubing is connected. He primarily only uses 2 of the four lines. First line has the "stake in ground sprinklers" coming off the tubing for watering the lawn covers the lawn great... (poormans irrigation but works for his setup)

2nd line is for watering a garden bed

The most efficent way @ the moment is he walks down into the basement to turn on the circuit which turns on the pump (not very pratical)

Question is:

Is their such a thing as a pump start relay with a timer built in timer? This way it would simply turn on the pump and only 1 valve is open (single zone) which waters the lawn based on a schedule. In my limitied reading it sounds like most pump start relays are connected to a irrigation controller. However its sounds like a controller is neccessary when you have multiple zones (valves)? If we wanted to keep this really basic as to simply control 1 zone (have one valve open)....Does such a pump start relay exist with a built in timer exist?

He does not have a pressure tank or pressure switch etc..The only way it turns on is if we turn on the breaker..Simply put I want to know if we can automate turning it on (once a day) at a specific time.

Any other suggestions are welcome

thanks in advance

See less See more
#4 ·
Better to install a baby pressure tank and let a pressure switch control the pump. That way, you can even close all the outlets without having to do anything with the pump.
But to turn on the pump doesnt he have to walk down to the spicket to turn on the water for the pump to engage? He's old there is stairs and I would prefer this be automated thats why a timer to turn the pump off and on would be ideal

#6 ·
But to turn on the pump doesnt he have to walk down to the spicket to turn on the water for the pump to engage? He's old there is stairs and I would prefer this be automated thats why a timer to turn the pump off and on would be ideal
A pump controlled by a pressure switch does not need a relay. If a controller is actuating zone valves, that is a separate matter. There does not need to be any sort of connection between a pump and a sprinkler controller. The tank/switch combination is the best way to protect a pump from a zone valve failing to open. It also allows manual operation by way of a hose bib.

#7 ·
A pump controlled by a pressure switch does not need a relay. If a controller is actuating zone valves, that is a separate matter. There does not need to be any sort of connection between a pump and a sprinkler controller. The tank/switch combination is the best way to protect a pump from a zone valve failing to open. It also allows manual operation by way of a hose bib.
There are no "zones" in this system, as I understand it. Any fool is going to install a blowoff should the pump deadhead.

#10 ·
Tell us why, and make it good, why there cannot be a pressure switch and a tiny (less than 5 gallons) pressure tank.

"I don't want one" isn't a good enough reason to do the wrong thing.

Make a complete system with tank and pressure switch, and the job is done. By all means include a pressure relief valve if you want one, but I might leave it out, when it might be necessary to tweak a pressure switch to allow constant flow with a small amount of water used by a garden hose. (when you do that, there won't be very much leeway for a relief valve to function effectively)

#12 ·
Coming directly off the pump has a 4 valve spicket like this http://www.berryhilldrip.com/images/62032FauPic.jpg in which 3/4 inch polyethylene tubing is connected. He primarily only uses 2 of the four lines. First line has the "stake in ground sprinklers" coming off the tubing for watering the lawn covers the lawn great... (poormans irrigation but works for his setup)
It's a junk system, do your Pop a favor and call a pro.
"stake in ground sprinklers" coming off the tubing for watering the lawn??:(

#16 ·
It's a junk system, do your Pop a favor and call a pro.
"stake in ground sprinklers" coming off the tubing for watering the lawn??:(
I knew this comment was coming, and to be completly honest if money wasnt an object etc I would say hell ya call an irrigation outfit and do it right. Truth is the stake in ground sprinklers do the job for how small of space the lawn is. Its not professional but it does the job. Down the road once the pump goes, will without a doubt encourage him to do so. I know this "hilly billy" setup isnt the best scenario for this forum.

#17 ·
He wants to program it! What has happened to the air quality back there? Jeez, Boots, I used to be on your side with the Kiril diatribes, but you've got me wondering on this one.
Cant say it any better than Mike just did...This is about automation. Ideally there would be pressure tank but the point is I dont want him walking down to the shoreline to turn on the water.

I'm not against your sugestion @ all, and once this pump goes and he gets a new one will defintely suggest he outfit it with a tank

#19 ·
Think about if for a brief moment. Pump relays cost money. They cost more than pressure switches. They cost about the same as small pressure tanks.

You got a 30 amp circuit. That may be more than the cheapest pump relays are rated for. You don't get to use devices that are rated for less than the circuit breaker.

If you want automation, you turn the pump into a supply with a tank and a pressure switch. Then you can see about controlling a valve for the sprinklers. If you can't escape the hose bib, then get a programmable hose-bib valve.

None of this is rocket science.

#20 · (Edited)
Think about if for a brief moment. Pump relays cost money. They cost more than pressure switches. They cost about the same as small pressure tanks.

You got a 30 amp circuit. That may be more than the cheapest pump relays are rated for. You don't get to use devices that are rated for less than the circuit breaker.

If you want automation, you turn the pump into a supply with a tank and a pressure switch. Then you can see about controlling a valve for the sprinklers. If you can't escape the hose bib, then get a programmable hose-bib valve.

None of this is rocket science.
Wet

Ok I will bite.....Lets say he adds the tank and pressure switch (what does that do anyways the pressure switch?). Explain to me how he turns the pump on without physically walking down to the pump hose or sprinkler. Maybe I'm missing something

#22 ·
With a pressure switch you have constant pressure, no need to flip a switch. When you turn a valve on the water flows and when it gets down to a certain pressure the switch kicks the pump on, when it reaches the high pressure it kicks the pump off.

None of this is rocket science, in fact it's old school.

#23 ·
When you turn a valve on the water flows and when it gets down to a certain pressure the switch kicks the pump on, when it reaches the high pressure it kicks the pump off.

None of this is rocket science, in fact it's old school.
I get it, very simple. But now answer my very simple question how does the "valve" turn on unless he physcially walks to it?

#25 ·
Instead of trying to invent stuff that doesn't exist, use the tools that are available. A tank and switch might be fifty bucks. A cheapass controller and valve might be thirty. A battery-powered programmable hose-bib valve would be more expensive, but simpler to install.

#26 ·
That's where the cheap controller and solenoid valves from Home Depot come in.
Fair enough but your above comments all assume a pressure tank correct? So including the pressure tank, cheap controller and solenoid. Ballpark how much for those 3.

Again I'm not trying to be combative, I'm simply try to ad hoc to what he already has in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.