Pump Station Set-up

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bicmudpuppy, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Ok, lets see what kind of pro/con response I can get about pressure switch settings for a multi-stage pump station. I am going to be replacing the 15HP jockey pump with a 15HP pump in the very near future (looks like I will have to drive down and get it, but beats not having it or paying any other quotes I got). Pump station consists of a 30HP Berkley, a 25HP of unknown origin (its been painted and I haven't cleaned off the tag yet. Pump will catch up and cycle @ 135psi and 100gpm. Running alone we get 90psi@200gpm) and a 15HP pump (either a goulds or berkley). My past experience would tell me to "nest" the pressure settings. 15HP set to 110/120, the 25HP set to 105/125, and the 30HP set to 100/135. I am tempted to alter this and try the 30HP at 100/135, the 25HP at 110/120, and the 15HP at 115/125. The only difference is that the jockey pump will run longer before shutting down. It also means the 25HP shuts off first if all three pumps have been engaged.

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Way over my head...

3. Mr.cactus

Mr.cactus LawnSite Member
    from Brea CA

Wow I can tell you made it clear but hard for me to comprehend.
    have you tried a timer?

4. bicmudpuppy

how's that line go.........."no, you just don't understand............"
    I have to have water to QCV's on demand once things get warm. A 1" QC and 1" greens hose w/ variable nozzle that will output 30+gpm @ 90psi

I was "hoping" for some input from those who have been around large pump stations. Another scenario for the jockey pump (the smaller 15HP) is a dual pressure switch and relay setup. First pressure switch is set @ a middle range w/ a disconnect relay if either of the larger pumps kicks on. The second pressure switch is set to kick the jockey pump back on if the pressure drops below the start pressure for both larger pumps. Shutoff is then set so that this switch kicks back out between the two larger pumps.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I think your second idea sounds pretty good, with the larger pumps shutting down before the jockey pump.

I've always wanted to be in your shoes but never got the chance. I bet Jerry might have some advice.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Is there a dinky pump, so it only flows enough for a QCV? Or is the 15HP for that?

7. bicmudpuppy

The "dinky" pump IS the 15HP and the QCV will run over 30gpm when being used. Output pressure when hand watering will be around 100psi. The nozzle I can use adjusts for shut-off, but specs @ 37gpm@80psi. Greens are banks of 4 heads and only run 40-50gpm per zone. The fairways run 100+gpm per zone and ideally will run 4 zones at a time.

BTW, when running through pump options, a 7.5HP pump was the MINIMUM suggested for any significant flow at 120+psi.

8. bicmudpuppy

Also, design specs for this system called for the system to run 240gpm@135psi. This would be two zones at once. The plans were updated to run 4 zones at a time and the pump station was increased.

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

(If you only had a small hose on the QCV, you might need a fourth pump - or maybe a fifth pump for a drinking fountain :p)

10. bicmudpuppy

I've got a 8'x4' upright pressure tank w/ an air assist system on top. That good enough? Storage capacity of the system seems to simulate about 300 gallons. (100+gpm zone when pump shuts off takes about 4 min before pressure drops from 135 to 110)
    :drinkup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.