1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

pump/well vs. city water

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by zliminator, Jun 19, 2006.

1. zliminator

zliminator LawnSite Member

When designing a system to be used on a pump with a well (the pump is used only for the irrigation system), do you have to worry about too much pressure? IOW what if one zone is just for shrubs and the pump provides way more pressure than what is needed? I'm replacing a 1HP well pump for a customer and redesigning her system so I'm considering using a smaller pump and more zones.

2. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

pressure switch/ w bladder tank
  3. Valveman

Valveman LawnSite Member

Pressure switch and bladder tank will keep you from having too much pressure but, each zone must match the output of the pump or the pump will cycle on and off. Pressure will vary between 40 and 60 PSI. Use a Cycle Stop Valve with the switch and tank, now the pump will match any size zone without cycling. You won't have to downsize the pump. The Cycle Stop Valve will make it work like a small pump when needed and will also allow max flow when needed while staying at a constant 50 PSI all the time.
  4. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

As long as you are using at LEAST 1 gpm, I believe. Check the spec's on the CSV.