pumped up!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sirsweatsalot, Jul 31, 2002.

1. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

well i was out with my buddy tonight, and he was showing me this house he was working on. well knowing that i have a lawn buiness he commented on the area where we were and how the one guy out there has the market (do to the location) well after hearing what he was charging and amount of people out there that need lawns done, i figured this would be a prime place to start saturating with flyers. so will see how they do. like a fat pig... all with money and toys and little time to spend cutting grass!

sorry this post was not real helpful or insightful just tooting my horn a little*

2. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope it works out for you. Always on the look out for new area's to work in. I havent had good luck with the larger pocketbook area's. Too many are holding tight to their money. I have 2 that owe me from 2 months ago, and havent even tried to contact me even though I have called and sent 3 different invoices and letters.

Just trying to tell you be careful. Rich people tend to try and screw us around here. Hopefully your area isnt the same!

3. SLIMDAWG1

SLIMDAWG1 LawnSite Member

DON'T GET PUMPED UP TOO FAST.FIRST CHECK OUT THIS GUYS SETUP AND QUALITY OF WORK BY DRIVING THROUGH.IF YOUR SET-UP IS COMPARABLE OR BETTER AND YOUR WORK IS DAMN GOOD YOU SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM.RICH PEOPLE LIKE TO HAVE A NICE SET-UP IN FRONT OF THEIR HOMES WITH UNIFORMED CREWS.PROFESSIONALISM IS A MUST.MY SET-UP GETS BETTER EACH YEAR AND PEOPLE LIKE IT.HELL HIT 'EM WITH A FEW FLIERS AND DON'T BE SKEEERED OF THE WORK(HA HA).

4. agrostis palustris

agrostis palustris Banned

The HIGH dollar areas usually are pretty hard to break into. So be forewarned. If you are passing out fliers and they do call you, they are going to want a list of GOOD references. The safest way is to get in through people who already work for them ie; painters / tree surgeons / masons / etc. I have worked on several HIGH dollar places from being introduced by people who already do work there. Wasn't asked for a single reference, just for a price.
    Then you can also get in through friends of theirs who you do work for or are friends with or what have you.

5. agrostis palustris

agrostis palustris Banned

I should also mention... you don't think that you are the only one to think to flier there do you? To think that would be foolish. I am betting that whoever this one guy is that works there is dug into that area SOLID. He most likely knows the people well and has been working for them for YEARS now. A guy I talked to over the winter out in a HIGH $$$ area has been working at some of those houses for over 30 years now. They would never get rid of him. Not when he has been there longer than they have owned the house for.

6. The Mowerdude

The Mowerdude LawnSite Senior Member

Around our neck of the woods, the high dollar areas are where all the newbs go. I guess they figure that those high dollar customers will consider them in their wills or something.

Our particular area for this is Belle Meade. It's definately the richest per capita in Tn. and one of the richest in the nation. Even the cops are snooty. (well, actually the cops are the snootiest) Belle Meade is Nashville's rich neighborhood. A city within a city, it has its own police force, courthouse, town counsel, yada yada.

In 1994, I wanted to do a flyer campaign but couldn't due to city ordinances. So I did a mailer. The results were less than stellar. Virtually all the calls were from control freaks who had just worn out every other LCO and literally had no one else's chain to jerk. I did pick up 2 regular mowing jobs from people who had moved in and they were nice folks, but very new to the area. However, and this is a big problem in Nashville, they were in the music business and soon moved to other digs. So I lost them.

In 1997, I decided that I would try the mailer one more time to see if maybe the first time was a fluke. It wasn't. I got an exact repeat of the first effort and many calls were from the same jerk people.

In 1999, I really aggressively launched my leaf removal efforts and put out street signs instead of flyers. There is a city ordinance banning street signs here in Nashville, but I figured I'd see how many calls I got before the Nashville clamped down on me. I hadn't specifically targeted Belle Meade, but I started getting some calls from there. I did NOT put any signs out in Belle Meade. And BTW, the sign campaign was awesome for a while. The city finally did call and was very polite, but in the meantime every scrub and newbie quickly jumped on that bandwagon and suddenly there were signs literally everywhere!

This time around I got one customer that turned out to be the best I've ever had. She is an elderly lady with a huge mansion (and I mean HUGE) right in the middle of town. On the phone, I came very close to blowing her off because she really asked a lot of questions and was pretty snippy. But I was patient because it seemed that her questions were based on the fact that she was sick and tired of people raising their prices the farther down her driveway they went. Or in other words, they were saying: "Hey Clem, this woman's rich. We need to double our prices." And then Clem says: "Double Hell!! We need to at least triple!!"

Since I do leaf removal by the hour, I told her that and that it would be the same rate whether she was in a mansion or a trailer home. Turns out that she's as sweet, nice and down to earth as they come. A true Southern Bell in every sense of the word. Now she does almost $10,000 worth of leaf removal every fall and early winter with me and every time we've got the truck and trailer (complete with signs) parked out front we get more calls. Virtually all of my other Belle Meade customers have called me based on their knowing that this lady is using my service. And they're all good folks. So all you have to do is get your foot in the door.

So the key to success here is to keep trying. Find one good one, and the others will follow.