1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pumping water from a creek

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by pilotcoplawnboy, May 23, 2005.

1. pilotcoplawnboy

pilotcoplawnboy LawnSite Member

Does anyone know what the minimum size gas water pump I may need to make this happen?

The creek is about 400ft behind my house and is down a slope at an angle of about 10 degrees. I dont want the water to hook up to my current irrigation but instead will have a hose connected to it with a sprinkler attached.
    With the summer around the corner, running my irrigation all the time will make my water bill skyrocket and my wife go bonkers. So I figured since there was a creek behind my house I should figure out a way to get the water for free and just pay for the gas. Thanks in advance.
  2. betterlawn

betterlawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

Not to be a smart-a**, cause I really have no idea, but do you have the water rights to the creek? I know it seems stupid, but I've seen people get in trouble for a lot of dumb things... Not that anyone would necessarily know, and its lot like it would do any harm. Of course, if its 400 feet behind your house, you might not have any neighbors per-se that would see it, would they?

Why not an electric pump? They are easy to find. Put it on a timer and set it all up with stock parts. Just a thought. Of course, now I'm thinking of 400 ft and that is probably why not electric... What about solar and some batteries? Just thinking out of the box here...

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Electricity is cheaper than gas.

I'd run a conduit out there.
  4. pilotcoplawnboy

pilotcoplawnboy LawnSite Member

Permission has already been granted. Thanks for the alternative ideas. I will look into them.
  5. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

FWIW, I would try and talk you into electric first too, but you asked about gas. My first thought is that if your using a gas engine and pump setup, one 1/2" hose connection ain't enough water. Any way you could run a 1" poly line up to near where you will be watering and space 2 or even 3 sprinkler lines off of it? Most gas pumps that I have seen, are 1" at the smallest, and most common size would be 1.5" discharge. You could reduce this down w/o any serious problems depending on what you find for a pump. An average lawn sprinkler will use around 4gpm (some more, some less). I am thinking 4-6 of these for what you are describing. Other than backflow, any reason NOT to tie this feed line into your existing sprinkler system and use it for the "free" water? What kind of backflow do you have for your existing system? Some areas will have already required an RP. This would mean you could connect to the system with no code questions. If your in an area that allows a DC, an isolation valve after the backflow and a flow span into the backflow so you can air gap from the domestic water is possible. PVB? install unions on the pvb w/ a shutoff below the downstream union. Again so you can air gap from the domestic. If the pump you find exceeds your needs drastically and you can tie into your existing sprinkler, a bypass line or a valve w/ flow control connected to your MV circuit will work. Just dial the flow down on your relief valve to the point the rest of your system works with proper pressure.
  6. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

how many horsepower is the motor on your pump?????

anythign over a horsepower pump is gonna massivly overload the hose. or, more likely, burn out the pump impeller.
  7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The biggest problem with the idea of using a gas powered pump, is the very large hose requirements for the typical large-flow/low-pressure output of most gas-powered pumps. At hundreds of feet of distance between the water and the lawn, the expense of hose/pipe/sprinklers to use the pumped water can run into the hundreds of dollars. Not that something can't be done, but the cost of getting something accomplished with this 'free' water kind of defeats the purpose.
  8. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

This thread made me look around........
    There are a few .8 horse pumps out there that max at less than 2000gph. They should come in at less than 30gpm at 40+psi. But, 500' of conduit and 1500' of 12ga UF wire in that conduit and spend less than $200 for a good 1/2 or 3/4 horse electric pump would seem like the better "deal" to me.
  9. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

you can't run electric wire 1200 feet.

also, at 30gpm for that distance you are talking what, 3 inch line????? bring money.
  10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

BS. Depends on the gauge of wire. I did a install with the pump being a quarter of a mile away. Ran 1 1/4" conduit with 0 gauge wire. Installed by a licensed electrician.

I read 400 feet, you don't need 3" for 30 gpm on 400 feet.