Pumps/motor- Separate or all in one?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DJL50, Jun 5, 2006.

1. DJL50

DJL50 LawnSite Senior Member

I ask this on here because I want someone with some repair experience to give their opinion.

When I started to look at ZTR for my 2+ acres at home every dealer and advice I got on the web said to get a unit with separate pumps and wheel motors. Not to even consider a unit that was built into one piece like the home use units.
    So off I went passing up looking at such a unit. I was looking for something with a good frame and deck anyway. Over the weekend I was looking at a Bush Hog Brand that had a heavy frame and deck made for the estate user but they have the all in one pump/motor unit. (this unit would also save me some money)
    Then I got to thinking my wheelhorse (lawn tractor) with Hydro drive I have used for 15-20 years with no problems at all. Is this not the same as the all in one units on the ZTR?
    So my question is. I know the separate pump and motor is better, but for me with two acres is there going to be a big deal between the two? I believe in buying a good unit but how good is too good? Why buy 20 year paint over 7 year if you are going to sell the house in a year?

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

if the pump, motor and gear reduction is made by hydro-gear then it's good. I suggest the fasttrack by hustler.

3. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

for home use you should be fine. when running those units commercially all day everyday they tend to overheat and fail.