Pumps, Pumps, and Wheel motors

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frue, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

In the last few years I have owned 3 different models of z's, all with baggers. Toro z500, exmark hp triton, ferris is2000,and toro diesel. I have blown pumps a wheel motors in all these mowers within 100 hours of use. What is causing this phenominom? I read on other sires where other people are having the same problems.
    My first Z was a toro back in 2000 never blew anything in fact its still running! Are the Z's just made cheaper but costing us more?

2. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

You can't blame the Z mower manufacturers for the hydro problems.

Oldtimer

3. It would be nice if manufacturers would have the option of larger pumps & motors for those running baggers all of the time. Especially for those with employees operating them.

4. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

I'll hazard a guess and say you have air in the pumps/wheel motors which causes cavitation. Without the oil being present in the pumps/wheel motors 100% of the time causes cavitation (air). Air will overheat your hydraulics!

5. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

This is true! :waving:

6. themowerman

themowerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Air in the system will cause failures. So will not running the right oil, not running machine at 3/4 to full throttle at all times, not letting system warm up before use, and jack-rabbit starts.

7. freedm2

freedm2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

How can you tell if you have air in the system?

8. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I know toro pump are made elsewhere and I have fought this problem at two machine. Funny thing is my old toro z's with 2500 hours are still running strong. Air can be a problem and I only know that you can try to bleed the system but that is messy and I would take to dealer and see what he says or does - then its his problem and mess to kix if not done right.

I know in the toro's they recemmend you add 'shock absorders" to the pumps if you run a bagger. They claim weight and bouncing will put extra stress on pumps/wheel motors. I don't know, never installed them and until they come factory, I am going to take my chances.

9. JosephLawnCare

JosephLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I've been doing this for 15 years. WTF is a jack rabbit start??? explain please

10. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I think better outdoor uses some like that.