Puncture Hazards? How many can you name?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by mdvaden, Jun 7, 2006.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

An idea came to mind today.

I was thinking about trees with thorns. Then I began wondering if any trees or shrubs produce thorns or spikes on roots that could puncture pond liner.

Being an arborist that's planted trees for years, you would think I'd have the answer. But I'm not all that brilliant.

Anyhow, my first question is, is anybody aware of plants or trees that may have sharp parts on the roots system?

Then, are there any out of the ordinary puncture hazards that are still common enough to keep in mind?

Chips from quartzite flagstone is one little monster I've encountered. When I line ponds with quartzite, I don't fine-tune the edges with a rock hammer by the pond anymore. I take the stone away from the pond a ways.

2. work4green

work4green LawnSite Member

I would expect the rhizomes from bamboo could poke holes in a liner eventually. :confused:

Some roots of Smilax(greenbriar) have thorns... though I don't recall seeing any large enough to completely puncture a liner.

3. mjohnson1

mjohnson1 LawnSite Member

yes they defintely will i planted bamboo near an existing pond at my parent's house and it was great for about 2 years until it had a chance to really spread, then the stuff grew right up through two layers of pond liner

4. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

That's nice to be aware of. Maybe a root barrier, or a concrete pond under the liner would be an option for a bamboo "die-hard".

5. work4green

work4green LawnSite Member

While we're talking about the containment of bamboo... I've recently read that you can prune the rhizomes in the fall with a shovel to stop their spread. This is because the first half of the year, the vertical shoots are growing. The second half, the roots spread. They must be in the ground a certain amount of time(over winter) in order to be self sustaining. :hammerhead: Leastwise, that's what I read... ;) Which brings me back to what we're talking about- just how deep do the roots grow? Suppose you can't reach them all with a shovel? What is a good barricade to put in place- a large clay pot recessed in the ground, with several inches exposed to force the roots into daylight? metal flashing?

As a kid, I rememer helping my dad dig a 2' deep trench to install roofing flashing around a raised garden bed. We planted thornless blackberries, and I never have seen any of those vines escape from that bed...

Back to the puncture hazards- has anyone ever had rodents dig through the liner? say, a mole or shrew?

6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

we had a groundhog chew through our vinyl pool liner from our underground pool about 4 years ago so I guess they could chew through a rubber liner just the same. We replaced that with a pre-formed 18x36' fiberglass pool.