Punning...Personal preferences on how to

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jasonlandscape, Jan 15, 2008.

1. jasonlandscape

jasonlandscape LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

hey i know everyone has a certain way of prunning shrubs and i know there is a correct way too.

i just wanted to see how all of you guys like to prune.

if i can, i won't touch gas shears except for compact hollys and shrubs alike
    and when i do use shears i do a mushroom head....wider on the bottom

i like to hand prune everything else with my felco's

In my opinion if done right from the start its faster, nicer, more natural looking, and less messy.
    oh yeah, also less chance for fungus or disease

2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

look into buying a nice pair of loppers.
    1 never take of more than 1/3 of the leaves
    2 always have the blade on the bottom side of the branch ( this will prevent the bark from tearing
    3 ( hard to explain ) identify the branch collar and make the cut there ( this will help the tree to form Calais wood faster )
    4 always prune out the 3ds ( dead, dying and diseased branches )
    5 limbs under a .25'' are for hand shears, branches under a .5'' are for loppers , anything bigger chainsaw

3. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup, stihl trimmers only touch boxwood, taxus, holly, grasses.... Felcos and Felco loppers on roses, hydrangea, obviously tree limbs and thinning, viburnums, we could go on and on... I have used gas trimmers on massive patches of Azalea- to take off too much top growth, not to shape them.

I like small scissors on juniper topiary and tight stuff.

4. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

It seems that there's two threads going on simultaneously right now about pruning shrubs; and both of them are unfortunatly mis-spelled in the title !!! :laugh:

For providing the best health of the plants you prune, and for the best quality long-term service to your customers, I recommend following the advice on the first few blogs on this thread :

Prunning....how you guys do it?

5. jasonlandscape

jasonlandscape LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

haha yeah i put it in one forum and thought that it was the wrong forum so i put it on this forum to.

hhmm i guess somethin is wrong with my r key