purchase pending: 2012 deere stander or 2012 vantage

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by lawnkingforever, Apr 10, 2013.

1. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

After countless hours of looking at standers locally. These are the best deals I could find. I could be purchasing friday if my mower sells tomorrow. Both mowers have full warranty and sold through a dealer. Any thoughts on either mower?

Deere 2012 stander 48" deck. Price is $5000. Dealer brought it in for a guy last year who backed out of deal. Mower has 2 hrs. on it. I drove it around and liked it, but seemed a touch heavy.

OPTION 2
    2012 Exmark vantage 48 deck. Been on the sales floor since last year and is asking $7600. I was going to offer $7000 cash out the door and see if he bites.

I like the vantage better but can live with the deere. If I bought the deere I would probably sell it in a season or 2 since the dealer is a bit far.

Any thoughts on either?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Both machines are top notch, and the 2012 deere still had the legendary 7 iron. Id go with the vantage as the dealer is closer and it just seems like a better machine to me. I was stuck between similar machines in the 60" size and have decided to go with the examrk once I have the cash.

3. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with the Deere for a season if you like it keep it. If you don't sell it next year for $5000. That's an amazing price

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

This is what I would do too.

The 7 Iron is a lot better than the Exmark deck in damp or wet conditions, but I do like the Vantage very much.

5. lawnkingforever

That is what I was thinking
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. lawnkingforever

Good info. The toro deck was horrible in wet conditions. Hate to go back to another mower with the same issues. But the vantage is a solid unit.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. mclawns365

mclawns365 LawnSite Member

I used to work for a guy that only ran a 48" vantage, and push mowers. That thing was unstoppable. I dont know as much about the deere, as my dealer never brings one is till its sold (grrr) but that seems like a price worth trying. I imagine you could always get parts for it quick too if it came to that. But I come from Peoria, about two hours from john deere production plants and Im surrounded by deelers as this is all farmland. And still nobody around here uses a deere commercially. I feel like that says something....

8. 9ball1018

9ball1018 LawnSite Member

I bought a Vantage last May and love it! Only thing it does not replace a walk behind so don't ever think it will.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. stansoph

stansoph LawnSite Member

Offer cash for the Deere.