1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Purchased a 2005 f150

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by goodbeus, Jul 11, 2005.

1. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

Just purchased a brand new f150 crew cab...has the 5.4L v-8, the towing package and some other goodies...I'll prolly start using it next Monday, hafta take it to a few shops and add a few things...curious if anyone using this type of truck, what kinda gas mileage to expect...my 2001 Dodge quad cab gets 10.5 pulling a 20' trailer...the msrp was $29,700...after rebates and the employees discount, was $24,500...I got them down to $22,200.... :cool2:
  2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Sounds like you got a good deal. It it a 4x4 and is it an stx or xlt?
  3. moneyman

moneyman LawnSite Member

A buddy got a 2005 gmc crew cab for about the same price with trade in. whats the towing capacity and gear ratio?

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

I never pay attention to towing capacities because all of those tests are done back east in nearly perfectly flat conditions under very little respective load to our driving situations. A truck rated at 9500 lbs is usually hitting 20MPH with the drivers foot to the floor by the time they hit the summit of the mountain. A diesel powered truck rated at 15-19,000 lbs can easily glide up a mountain doing 80 if the driver chooses.

My neighbor has an 05 150 to pull his 26' 9,000lb tuna boat and he really likes it, but there is a big difference between pulling equipment trailers through mountains, and pulling a boat up a launch ramp.

The truck might work just fine where you live, but in our area, we don't run anything under a one ton with diesel. Along with power to get you there, we also have braking power necessary to stop once we get rolling.
  5. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

cool. but im just curious why you didnt get a 3/4 ton for work? or do you only do this partime. Only wondering because I know after rebates and all the 3/4tons are going for about 22k
  6. goodbeus

4x2 xlt...it's equipped with a 4.6l, not the 5.4l...my mistake...6650 towing capacity, 3.55 gear ratio...here in Fla, it's fairly flat...been using a 2001 dodge quad cab for a few days and it's rated at 6600 and I hardly know the trailer is there...I checked into the 3/4 tons, here after rebates, they start at $30,000....
  7. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Hard on the brakes.
    Hard on the trans.
    Underpowered Crown Victoria engine, you will wind out just to accelerate with traffic.
    Might sway on the highway.
  8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Congrats on the purchase, but I'd never buy a 1/2 ton.
  9. goodbeus

Some of the info I posted was wrong...3.73 gear ratio, 6800 towing capacity...

the gvwr is rated at 9500, that's not going to be a problem pulling what I need...the new 4.6's have been beefed up too, so again, the towing capacity is no problem...
  10. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

good for you...congrats on the new truck.

I'm sure it will be fine. With regard to how it works for you, I'm sure that has a lot more to do with how you treat it then just some factory spec. You're not trying to two the queen Mary and Florida in general is flat land. Just make sure the brakes are more than you need..you never know.

My friend has a 4x4 F250 with the 5.4 (?) V8... he gets between 12 and 13 in normal driving with no trailer.