Purchased a Gravely 44Z--My Thoughts and Comments

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ItalyEd, Jul 19, 2004.

1. ItalyEd

ItalyEd LawnSite Member
    from texas

After much deliberation, I purchased a Gravely 44z this weekend. In fact, another Lawnsite guy went with me, and we both purchased one. Here are my thoughts after 6 hours of mowing this weekend:

1. The cut is fantastic and even. It gave my Texas yard a manicured, golf course cut;

2. The machine rides extremely well at about 6-7 miles per hour;

3. At full speed, 9 mph, the little bumps on my property are noticeable. But the cut quality is still super at full speed.

4. Manuvering on this thing is a piece of cake;

5. I now understand the importance of trim edge. I got a 44" deck and there's not much trim edge. Now that I've wacked my head on a few small branches, it makes sense. Next time, I'll just duck.

6. The Kawasaki 17hp engine is a MACHINE! Plenty of power and I think I have another 1-2 to go if I wanted.

7. Mowing my 4 acres has been cut from 5 hours to 2 1/2. I don't know how they calculate 4 acres per hour, but I don't see how. Sure, I have one acre that's totally empty, no trees, just straight away. I zipped through that in about 20 minutes flat. Incredible.

8. As I was cutting and enjoying the machine, i found myself daydreaming of owing a Gravely 260/272. Arrrr, Arrrr, Arrrrr....

9. Last, for those of you who have asked or read about the 44Z frame being narrow and sliding on inclines, it does. I have a normal ditch in my front yard, cutting sideways results in sliding. Going at it from a straight line is no problem at all.

10. We'll have to wait and see about the dependability, durability factor, but so far, so good!

Thanks for all your input.

2. ItalyEd

ItalyEd LawnSite Member
    from texas

Oh yea, one last thing....price. I got a price from a dealer in Waco, Texas that beat anything I've seen posted on this board. Call Travis or Curtis at Lanscape Supply. There's a reason they sold two on Saturday!
  3. GBCS

GBCS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Ed, What did you pay for the new Gravely. Thanks!
  4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Glad to hear you like the new machine. Just keep up with the maintance and enjoy it for years to come!

5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Congrats man! We just got a new 34Z for our gated yards. Today was its first day of use. This thing cuts like a dream. We mowed some slopes with it with out any problems. But I wouldnt dare try and do anything steep with it.
  6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad to hear that you like it, Ed. I hope it "keeps you cutting" for years to come..
  7. FFEMT

FFEMT LawnSite Member

Glad you like it Ed......

I've only got about 12 hours on mine...No problems to report.....still happy with it..

My buddy has the 34z with about 30 hours on it...No problems either..

Did you get the mulching kit with it..??

This afternoon....Only cut 4 today....

loaded up.jpg
  8. ItalyEd

ItalyEd LawnSite Member
    from texas

I didn't get the mulching kit but I ordered the mulching blades. I have 4 acres of Texas pasture/farm grass that looks really good when its cut low and the trimmings are minimized. I'll include a pic of the yard as soon as we get 1 good rain! LOL
  9. Paul Corsetti

Paul Corsetti LawnSite Member

144z no problems great machine
  10. jestermg

jestermg LawnSite Member

144z no problems here either. Seems to be a great machine except for the one poster who may have a lemon.

IT is however a pretty rough ride. What tire pressure are you guys running in the fronts and backs?