Purchased a Toro 500Z First ZTR--Mistake or Good Choice?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by NewToThis, Feb 2, 2005.

1. NewToThis

NewToThis LawnSite Member

I purchased a Toro Z500 60" cut with 23 HP Kohler. I purchased the machine last fall and have not had a chance to test it on my 2 ac lawn. For six years I used a 46" MTD rider. This machine was mostly worn out. I'm sure the difference will be like daylight and dark between these machines. I'm just curious what kind of experience others have had with the Toro ztr's.

After looking at the Deere, Dixie Chopper, Graveley, Snapper, and Ferris, I just felt like the Toro was heavier built, well made, and closer to simple than all the others. I will say that I was torn between the Toro and the Graveley. Please offer any comments or warnings that you have on Toro.
  2. onemilmhz

onemilmhz LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

No experience with the Toro but our Gravely has had to have warranty work done over a dozen times in the last 18 months. I love the way the machine performs, when its running, so I am more than a little upset with the crappy reliability. When we replace this one at the end of the warranty period it probably won't be another Gravely.
  3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say you made a very good choice with a Toro Z Master. I have two zero turn Toros and have only had a few realitivly minor problems with them. Using one for home use only will probably cause very few to no problems.
  4. aklandscape

aklandscape LawnSite Member

I bought a z500 last spring and I used a rider for home too. I cut my time in half and had no problems at all. In my opinion it was the hot ticket last year fot ztr's.