Purchased the most stolen equipment in the industry

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Green-Pro, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

We are finally moving out of the equipment rental hassle and purchased a skid steer. We had been using a small tractor (not good for the heavy work of hardscapes) and renting skid steers, mini ex, when needed.

Not brand new but still an overall nice machine: 1995 Bobcat 773, 46 HP Kubota diesel, 1200 hours, forks, heavy duty bucket. Company we purchased from will deliver Monday afternoon so I'll post some pics then. They completely strip the machine down, refurbish any bushings, pins, hoses, lines, add new tires, etc. They take all panels and removables sections of the machine apart and repaint and decal. Paid $13100 for the skid steer with the bucket and forks. Looking forward to more efficient use of time and equipment.
    Wait until you guys see the pics, very clean machine, like I said will post Monday, because it will be getting used Tuesday :cool2:

2. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I might be wrong but i dont see where that is a super deal. One thing the machine is 11 years old. I have a 185 enlosed cab, heat, and air with 1700 hours. I was thinking on trading but im going to wait to spring and just buy a new machine and keep this one. Any way my dealer told me my machine might be worth 15,000 tops. New paint and decals are nice but get a few battle scars and the machine made you money. Im sure you know the 185 replaced the 773.
    Mike

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Mike, I think location is everything. Out here things are astronomicly priced used too. I've been excavator shopping, and a 10 year old mini ex will still set me back close to 20k.

4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Wait until I post the pics before passing judgment. Jon hit the nail right on the head with his post. I've been looking for a while now and most 1995 machines are $3 to $4k higher than what I paid and not anywhere near the condition. Heck I've seen 1992 thru 1994 models around here sell for nearly $14k that look like they are ready for the scrap heap. I have run the machine and can tell you it is a solid well running piece of equipment. I can further assure you that there are very few times in my life when I've been "taken". Whether you choose to believe that or not really doesn't matter to me though. BTW the machine does have heat, the pins are there for the cabdoor attachment, however it is minus the cab door, figured I'd take a stab at trying to fabricate a door for it this winter.
    Tell you what though, since there are so many great deals on equipment where you are next time I'll consult you. Is it that difficult to just say a pleasant words or two to another member? I'm sorry mike but I notice there are very few around here you actually don't "speak" down to, at least you always preface it with a halfhearted apology as a preface.
    Thanks for the comments anyway.
    Jon how many hours would typically be on a machine for that kind of dough?

5. Dirty Water

2,000 or so. This is for a 50 size machine.

A smaller machine you can get for between 10-15k but hours range wildly, none of have less than 2,000.

I'm trying to find a starter machine so I can move into small utility excavation without financing out 55k for a new kubota.

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Jon, if you were willing to buy a <3 ton machine, you could get something for $15K, but you're looking for a 50 class right? If so, I'd say you're dead on, $20K is about what you'll have to spend.

Have you found anything at Kitsap Farm and Garden that struck your fancy?

Back to the original thread, I'd say you got an average deal. Sure location means a lot, but a "steal" for that machine would have been $10,000. However, I don't think you overpaid whatsoever and if the machine is going to be cleaned up like you say, it should be a good performer. You paid about what the machine is worth, but getting the machine cleaned up for free basically.

7. Dirty Water

Not really, been watching some Hitachi's.

I really hate backhoe sticks, but finding a greymarket machine with pilots is hard to find.

8. Mike33

I guess i figure we are all big boys here and dont get our feelings hurt easy. You made a post i responded, my opionon of my experience in my area. Yes, i do agree everything is based on location. For whats its worth im not giving an apolgy but good luck with your new machine, i was not speaking down on you for purchase .
    Mike

9. Mike33

I agree location is everything. Im surprised in your areas new bobcats would be cheaper since there built close there.
    Mike

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I hear you on those backhoe sticks, but like you say for $15K you can't quite find what you want. I'd check back often here, they're always updating machines and they push a lot of greys. www.darlingsons.com

EDIT: Actually, I just found an '03 Hitachi grey, AX30 with 1400 hours for $22,000. Pilots, steel tracks with rubber inserts. Check 'em out.
    http://www.darlingsons.com/excavators/id885.htm There it is.