Purchasing a 32" Stander tomorrow...Help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ZaK18, Dec 8, 2004.

1. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

My local Wright dealer just got in the 32" Stander and is offering it at $3899. Is this a good price?
    I have always used 21" and Here's my number one concern, tires are the same width as the old 36" (which Ive heard have problems with rutting) Am I going to have the same problem?
    I know its personal preference but would I be better off going with a walk-behind or Gravely 34Z instead
    If you have any input please respond, Thanks :)
  2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

my input is that YOU are not really sure what you want to go with. I think you should consider all the factors a little more carefully for a while before making your decision.

My experience has been that you shouldn't jump into $4000 decision without giving all factors due consideration.

Good Luck!
  3. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

in order for you to realize the true potential of a wright stander you should get at least a 42'' because of the wider tires and wider cut. 32'' doesnt sound like it would be worth it. if you need something small to get through gates, buy a walk behind and then save the money for a wider stander for the large areas.
  4. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

I'd Be Very Worried about Rutting w/the 32"...36" I used was Terrible...I hear the 36" is using Wider Tires Now so Should be Better.

Can you get the 17hp Kaw or just the 15hp ?!?

Check out the 32"Wright Velke Mower before Buying the Stander & post some pics of the 32" if you Get a Chance !
  5. leafitalawn

leafitalawn LawnSite Member

If your area is like mine (north of houston), small gates for all yards, then yes, the 32" stander sounds like an excellent idea. I'm going to get one myself within the next week or so. The price your dealer has sounds real good. The retail on those are $4999.

If you decide to get one, let me know how you like it..
  6. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

Thanks for your input/advice. I had been planing on purchasing the 32" stander since I first heard it was comming out 6 months ago. Almost all of my 60 lawns are small and have 36" gates, this size mower would be Ideal. Now that I am ready to purchase I'm having second thoughts. Many of my customers I got because I use pushmowers and I CAN NOT leave ruts in there yards
  7. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

The 32" is only available in the 15hp Kaw :cry: But my dealer insists that it has more than enough power. I remember reading about how the standers were underpowered, but thats the same engine on the Gravely 34Z, and I havent heard anything negative about that machine.
    I cant understand why the stander is so bad about rutting. Its a good bit lighter then the small Z's
  8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

It would just be because of the narrower tires on the smaller Standers.
    The best you can do is to make sure you keep changing your pattern each week. And not just change direction, but change your tire tracks. Move over just 6 inches in one direction or the other from time to time.

Keep us posted.
  9. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

you can get a lesco for about $1400.00
  10. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

We had the 36inch stander last year. Had terrible problems with rutting. We tried everything changing patterns etc. Don't even think about using it after a rain. We had too many complaints about the ruts. After a while it just ended up sitting on the trailer and we went with the 21's. On the smaller residentials we found the walk behinds much more efficient and there is no worry about ruts. We sold our Stander this year and bought a couple more Toro 21's. That was the best move we made for the year.