Purchasing a dump truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by nmf392, Jan 17, 2005.

1. nmf392

nmf392 LawnSite Member
    from Ma

I have been looking in to buying a dump truck. The old company I've worked for is selling a 96' Ford 350 7.3 diesel dump w/ 118,000 mile for $10,000 app. They took care of the truck and it runs well w/ no rot. Is this a good price? Thanks for your input.

2. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds alright. Is it 4 wheel drive??

Auto?

What kind of dump bed?

3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

118,000 is a liitle much. I know its a diesel, but you probably will be lucky to see 150,000. I would pass and get something a little newer and more reliable.

Chris

4. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

I don't agree with that. I have owned 6 Powerstroke diesels that all went over 200k with us and they are still purring along just fine.

5. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Get a dump truck you won't regret it, one of the best purchases I've made, but like the others said keep looking.

6. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd kinda like to get a dump truck as a work truck to pull my equipment. I was wondering what I kinds of uses you guys use yours for. Do you advertise hauling?

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 1993 Chev diesel with over 300,000 kms. It runs every single day. Only thing I've done in the couple of years I have run it is 2 alternators (1 lemon) 2 new back tires and brakes on the rear. I installed a flat bed dump on it last year. It's driven every day.

8. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawnchoice - I've had 2 psd's and the both sucked! One was even the same year as the one in question! They are the main reason I switched to Chevy. I guess you got a good run of them. To each his own.

Chris

9. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Take it to a mechanic and have them check the engine. A new engine will run you about $10,000.00. If the engine is solid and there are no hints of problems with the transmission, I think you have a good deal on your hands!

10. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

Has the truck been used to snow plow with?