Purchasing a electric spreader for my ZTR mower

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CK82, May 28, 2008.

1. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

I was thinking of purchasing a electric spreader (Jrco or Spyker) for my ZTR mower. Should I spend my money on this or spend a little more on a smaller liquid set-up for my truck. I am getting into fertilizing and such more as my customers are asking for it! Would a liquid applicator have better results? Please share your knowledge.

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Definitely a Spyker. But you will still need to spray weeds with liquid somehow.
  3. AustinLawnscape

AustinLawnscape LawnSite Member

There have been several threads regarding modifying a ZTR to mount a spray system. I've been doing granular for several years with a push spreader and backpack sprayer.

I got certified this winter and set up one of my ZTR's with quick connect setup using a Spyker spreader on the front and 8ft. boom spray system on the back.

I'm too small to justify a Permagreen or a Z-spray. This way I am able to build my fert. & squirt business by using an existing (and paid for) piece of equipment.

I chose the Spyker spreader after seeing some negative feedback regarding the JRCO spreader on this and another landscape web site.

The Spyker spreader is more expensive but I feel you usually get what you pay for. That said I bought the spreader new for approx 1/2 price via ebay.

Good luck with your fert. & squirt or weed & feed business. - Ed