Purchasing a KX 161

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Jamesgateslandscaping, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Jamesgateslandscaping

Jamesgateslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys!
    Its come to the point in my company that it is time to purchase a mini excavator instead of renting one 2-3 times a month. I have gotten a price of $47,000 for a brand new KX-121, fully loaded, cab, heat, ac, power angle blade, auto idle, thumb. It would be another $7,000 for attachments like tilt grade bucket, trenching bucket and skid attachment. This is a great machine as I have fun them before and demoed the unit for 2 days. I like this machine because I can pull it behind my 3/4 ton and also my 1 ton; both duramax diesels.

Now, I found a 04 KX 161, full cab, heat, ac, thumb WITH a 7 ton Equipment trailer (purchased new with the machine). It has only 250hrs on it and owned somewhat locally (45min away). Now getting the trailer isn't important if I bought the KX 121 as I already own a 6 ton equipment trailer for my tractor, but purchasing a KX 161, I would need the bigger trailer. Another down side is that I can only pull with my 1 ton (Yes, I know I should use a bigger truck but the machine will only be going now more than 30-40 miles from my house on all back roads, I live in the country:waving: ...and most likely it'll only be 10-15 miles 90% of the time). Then the good part, the guy only was $37,500 for it... sell for about $60,000 new around there. It'd be nice to save the $10k and use it else where in the company:) .

I would have to spend another $7,000 for attachments like the other machine also.
    Opinions guys?
    This machine will be run year round (weather permitting) and would compliment the tractor very nicely.
    Thanks in advance guys!
  2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I can't see how a machine has that little hours on it what did the owner use the machine for ?

Is it stolen ?

The 161 is a digging machine it will do allot of jobs that the 121 really shouldn't do. The 161 is a 12,000lb machine and pulling it behind a 1 ton really isn't a good idea if your trailer is a bumper pull. If your trailer is a gooseneck it will be heavy but aleast your not going to need to hang weights off the front bumper to keep the tires on the ground.

The price is awfully cheap something sounds suspious because a machine like that would be worth more than that in my area.
  3. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

If you can pay cash, then the used one makes sense.

If you're financing then it might not.

Check to see what kind of financing deals Kubota is offering right now vs what you would have to pay on the used machine.
  4. Jamesgateslandscaping

Jamesgateslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Machine is legit, it was a small construction company that owned it.
    Kubota is offering 0% for 36 months and Ill see what Bank of America will offer me on this machine. We shall see though, Its a great deal on such a big machine.

Keep the comments coming guys!!! just these two have helped me a lot!!!
  5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

That is a really good deal with the 161 if you can swing it go for it because 250 hours isn't much if it was 2500 hours then I wouldn't really consider it.

On the 161 Kubota for round figures of 38,000 over 5 years your payment would be 650 dollars or so including a interest rate of 6.5%

I don't like the 0% interest deals because the dealer is going to get that money out of you some how. I always like to pay for the machine or truck etc with no strings attached. Is there any penalties paying the machine off early by making bigger payments if your doing well with the machine. Sooner you get it paid for its yours.
  6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

A 161 is a big machine! I wouldn't want to tow it with a 1 ton!

I tow my 246b with my 3/4 ton cummins and i don't always feel safe. The trucks pulls it fine and stops ok. But if i ever had to make any quick turns or stops i don't think it be pretty. And i am at 10,500lbs trailer and machine.

A 161 and a trailer will be atleast 15k. Also i think you will need larger than a 14k gvw trailer to pull it. I belive a 14k gvw trailer has to weigh atleast 3k. So thats 11k payload.
  7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Buy the 161 and buy a single axle dump truck with the money saved. Yeah, you'll be spending more money, but that 161 will make a fair share of cash over the 121.
  8. 2004F550

2004F550 LawnSite Senior Member

I'd go with the 161 it will allow you to do some bigger jobs and it is less then the 121, just save up and get a dumptruck someday, a 1 ton duramax can haul it, I just wouldn't want to do it forever.
  9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Before you get carried away, you need to think about what you will use your machine for.

A lot of guys will tell you to get the biggest machine for the money, but if you can't get the machine into the yards of 75% of your clients then its just going to sit at your shop and cost you money.

If you don't need the extra lifting capability of the 161 (Do you plan on setting lots of large rocks?) or the extra dig depth, then I'd go with the smaller ex.

Also, you would have to be suicidal to tow a 161 with a 1 ton. Thats just plain crazy and illegal. DOT would have a field day.
  10. Canon Landscaping

Canon Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Buy the 161 and I don't see a problem towing it with a 1 ton I have a Volvo EC58 and I pull it with a 3/4 ton duramax if the trailer has good brakes you should have no problems.