Purchasing a New Trailer. Opinions Appreciated!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DSLND, Jun 17, 2008.

1. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

So I am in need of upgrading my trailer. I currently run a 5x10, and it has suited me very well! I have a 20' storage unit, but I like having space in the back for a small shop area.

I have narrowed my trailer choices down to two.

7x12 Open Trailer w/rear and side gate. $1300 New at TSC.

8.5 x 16 Enclosed, slightly used (under 2k miles), $4800

I hear the enclosed trailers kill your gas mileage, but then I could get rid of the storage unit ($75/month), and use this for everything. Not to mention, rolling billboard, equipment is secure, etc.

Opinions, suggestions?

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I think an open trailer would be better for your needs, as they are much easier to use for a mix of mowing and 'scaping. Although, I would stay away from the TSC trailers, as I have heard they are not built well. I LOVE my PJ trailer, they are built quite well, powder coated (won't rust) and some kind of special wiring harness (won't have wire problems).

If you keep the little trailer for 'scaping, then by all means get the enclosed for your mowing equipment. That way you could eliminate the storage unit expense. You need the trailer anyway, it may as well serve as your shop, if you can afford it. I would like to do that sometime SOON myself.
  3. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm going to call and see what this enclosed trailer would retail new, and I imagine its in the $5-6k range. I will proboably keep the 10' for landscaping, although my mom may think otherwise:nono::nono:

My buddy has a trailer identical to yours, Eric, without the dovetail. Its a nice trailer, but If I was to spend that much on an open trailer, I may as well pay a little more and get the enclsoed.

4. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

I got my Trailer for $600 more and its bigger and bigger axles....If you want info let me no..and im talking about the enclosed one
  5. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd go with an enclosed trailer to knock off the storage fee, plus you can get some killer graphics.
  6. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

opens are much easier to work out of than enclosed so add a couple feet to that 7x12 and you will be good to go.
  7. pjtrailerguy

pjtrailerguy LawnSite Member

You should be able to buy a good PJ 7 x 12 for around the same price as the TSC stuff. Within 200 bucks I would think. Go to www.pjtrailers.com/retail.cfm and do a dealer search with your zip code. They'll email you your closest 3 dealers within 2 minutes of submitting your info.