Purchasing a winch for my truck

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by gml9, Jan 4, 2006.

1. gml9

gml9 LawnSite Member

I'm planning to purchase a winch to put on my truck for multiple uses. Had a mower go blow a rear tire last week in the "wayback" yard of a residential. What fun it was getting back to the trailer. Also can use the winch to pull trees off embankments to chainsaw them, etc. Any of you have one that you would reccommend? I'll probably go with 1500 lbs(Northern Tool) or so...thanks.

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

get double the weight of the heaviest thing you want to pull with the winch. ie 1000lb mower = 2,000lb winch.

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We have a 2500 lb warn on a mobile power washer,not sure about northern tool.

4. irishgoldcleanups

irishgoldcleanups LawnSite Member

i just purchased a 10,000lb used from a guy that bought a truck that it came on. he didnt know what it was worth so i offered him $100 he accepted. i new it was about $1500. im using it to actally rip out shrubs and trees

5. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

One word to the wise. If you buy a winch for the truck that's rated at let's say 5,000 lbs. Make sure that the mounting hardware is rated for at LEAST that. I knew a guy who once was working within the abilities of the winch on the truck, but the winch mounting hardware wasn't tough enough, so the winch got ripped right off the truck.