1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Purchasing Echo Products on Ebay???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Steve Swail, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Steve Swail

Steve Swail LawnSite Member

Ok...I read through some old threads and seem to have a handle on how some of it works but not quite everything. If you call the seller & buy it from him then the warranty (5 yrs res/2 yrs comm) is in your name since he is an Echo dealer. But, what's the deal if something happens to the unit while under warranty? I mean, can you take it to ANY local Echo dealer & have it repaired under warranty even though you bought it from someone who might have his shop 1,000 miles away from you? Does every Echo dealer have to honor warranties on items not sold at their store or is it at their discretion? Has anyone gotten the official word on how this works for sure? Hey, I'm looking for the best deal I can get on what I need & if that's on-line then so be it. But, I've also got to have the peace of mind to know that if something happens to the machine I can get it fixed locally. Know what I mean?
  2. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Technically, every echo dealer has to service it, but they don't have to service it quickly. The trimmers that are bought from home cheapo and online get thrown in the corner, and worked on in the winter when they have more time.
  3. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

Ever stop and think why the guy online can sell it cheaper than you're local dealer? It's because he doesn't have to do any warranty work, he doesn't have to walk you through the various feature of machine, show you how it works, answer all your question about it, etc.... See where I'm going here - its called customer service. Support your local business!
  4. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

This approach is generally OK, however, just make sure that whatever local dealer you settle on doing business with will actually give you good service !! Alot of local dealers sell the equipment and don't give good service.
  5. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

considering it is against echo's dealer policy to sell to customers online, when the dealer pulls up your equipment and it's not registered......they dont' have to do anything.

If you provide a sales reciept and it's bought online, they dont' have to do anything.

And if you didn't buy it from that dealer, obviously don't expect them to go the extra mile for you. There's no reason they should.
  6. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

very well said! Support your local dealer--a few bucks more will not kill you.
  7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

we buy most of our echos online because they dont ever need warranty work and we fix it all ourselves. therefore the money saved is much better when bought online for us.
  8. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Where do you buy to get the cheapest price. I would take it on as a challenge to fix it myself.
  9. capnsac

capnsac LawnSite Senior Member

bought a backpack blower online, it saved me a couple bucks but it might bite me in the butt since I didn't buy it from my dealer. I think this was the only piece in my lineup that I bought on eBay though. I spent a huge amount of money at this particular dealer though, so I don't think I should fare to poorly to when it comes time to get service on the thing.
  10. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

taking something that you bought online to your local dealer is a slap in the face to him plain and simple. how would you like it if your lawn customers decided to have a '**** crew come in and do the profitable mulching--or other work--without even asking you-----see----slap in your face---------