Purchasing goods besides Equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meets1, Jan 13, 2005.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

We all talk about the equipment we need, want or purchased. How to make them better, fast, more reliable, etc.

I find that I do more negotiating with insurance companies for better rates compared to my dealer for a better price or warrenty work

I have our own Health Insurance, Work Comp, trucks, trailers, equipment, building insurance. This is just business. Everyone out there offers a different pkg with different rates and it is hard to compare apples to apples.

Is there an insurance company strictly for the lawn care industry? Also this effects my bottom line more so than any equipment we run, own, rent, or purchase new.

Just curious as to your thoughts and business practises.

2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I am insured with Farm Family here in NY. I believe that they only insure agricultural/horticultural businesses. I was required to join the NY Farm Bureau ($80/year) in order to get the insurance. I have looked around a bit, but their pricing is very competitive and the service has been excellent.
    I'm not sure if there is something similar where you are, but it might be worth looking into. I think you are right, it does affect your bottom line more than the equipment you run, own, rent, or purchase new.

3. meets1

I am glad your being treated well. I can't complain but after looking at all the numbers this year, our insurance rate is insane!

4. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Here in Tennessee, Farm Bureau Insurance Co. does the same thing. They make you join the Tennessee Farm Bureau, so I suspect they operate in a simlar way. to "Farm Family". What I found out is that although they told me my commercial vehicles were covered, they really weren't because the policiy was really not a commercial policy.

I switched and would never use them again. While their rates were lower, the risk fell on the policyholder. I felt it was also not honest.

5. meets1

Likestomow: Same deal with me. farm Bureau in my area as well. Never had a claim but after further review - it was no commercial policy and that would be hard to handle with something went wrong and I was in the fault.

6. greendave

greendave LawnSite Member

I'm with Zurich Direct. They have programs geared for small business, and the green industry in particular. Don't know how their rates and coverages will compare to what you've got now, but it's worth a look see.