Purchasing Grass Seed

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TheLawnButler, Jul 20, 2007.

1. TheLawnButler

TheLawnButler LawnSite Member

I am new to the business, but have several of my customers wanting to get there yards overseeded this fall. I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on good places in the KC area to purchase grass seed? It seems to be pretty high priced at places like Home Depot and Lowes, and I am not sure on the quality of the seed.

thanks,

Jan

2. Creter

Creter LawnSite Member

In my opinion find you an old school hardware store or a small nursery. Have something in your hand to buy (it doesn't have to expensive) and ask questions. You'll end up finding fair prices and a wealth of information from some of the older chaps that will allow you do virtually anything with their knowledge. Plus it seems the older the business is the more they are helpful. (They got old money and most of the time the place is paid for and they don't have to get every nickel from everybody, they take their time if ya will)

I have a store for Lumber only, one for concrete supplies only, one for seed and plants only and then another person I deal with for top soil and mulch. Respect and common courtesy as you explore places will pay off ten fold in the long run once you get a working relationship with them. Doesn't hurt to call or drop by to say thanks if they do steer you the right direction. It gives them pride that they are helping people out as well. Not only do I have fun friendly relationships with these people, I have nearly zero delivery fees for all my suppliers, doesn't matter if it's 10 2x4's or a complete garage load.