purchasing my 1st commmerical walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by McCarty'sLawncare, Feb 5, 2007.

1. McCarty'sLawncare

McCarty'sLawncare LawnSite Member

Hey all Im having a bit of a problem money isnt a factor but I am looking for a walk behind that will save me time. Something thats not too heavy because I do mostly residental lakesides and the land gets soft. As in when you walk on it your feet sink down. :laugh: I do alot of I guess you can say high class houses mostly. They always complained how there past lawn guys will cause tracks in their yard rutz and etc. I been using a 21 " Honda commercial, because I been hearing when it comes to the cut you cant beat the 21 " especially a Honda. My question is when it comes to exmark either its a 48" or maybe a 36 Hydro or any brand out there. What really has the most manicured cut to it? I been keeping my eye on exmark and all my yards I use a multching system. So if I did get a 48" or a 36 inch walk behind the most important thing to me and my customers is. How pretty of a job is it gonna do, and ofcourse I know they say well it depends on the operator. But you get the idea.... :dizzy: Thankyou

2. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Not much looks worse than ruts in mushy turf. If weight is the primary factor, you almost have to consider Better Quick 36 and 44.

But where a Lazer HP or Tiger Cub will rut bad on adjacent lawns in the same neighborhood when it is wet, on the straight runs as well as in the turns, my Metro 48 will not.

3. JGroverCU

JGroverCU LawnSite Member

I would consider several things.
    1. Do these yards that have the soft ground count enough in your business to make the purchase?
    2. What dealer in your area provides the best service or has service that can help you out in a pinch?

I know that one reply above stated that Exmarks and Scags were heavy, but if you purchase a machine that may not offer service/decent service in your immediate area, than you will be back to pushing the 21" around. Just make sure that you make the decision that best meets the customers needs and does not kill your business in the long run. If I were you, I would see if the best dealer in the area has a demo model I could borrow and use on the yards to see if they will make the cut. Try using a demo for one pass and decide at that point if it is making the rutts and messing up the grass.

4. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

If the ground is so soft, your foot goes down into it, IT isnt really gonna matter what mower you use. We do alot of lakeside mowing, with wb's and z's and rarely does it leave "significant" rutting. Many times during the rainy season the worst rutting is between the houses where there is crappy drainage...

As far as cut goes, you cannot beat an eXmark. If money is no object get a 36 tthp. In my area if I was gonna step up to a 48 wb, I would just get a z.

Wanna buy a used 36 Metro?

5. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

if they are complaining about the previous guys jobs, they are gonna complain about yours if it is that soft. anything other than your little 21" is going to make a mess. i would buy a 48" walkbehind anyday over your mower though, but save it for the soft parts, save time in the rest of the lawn with the bigger mower

6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Have you check out the new 2007 Toro's? The walkbehinds have the TurboForce deck with adjustable baffles and the cut is second to none.

7. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm about 2 hours away if you want to check out a Quick 36.