Purchasing new 21" mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Oct 12, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm about to go and get another 21" mower..

I currently have a 21" Honda Commercial 216 mower..

I was considering getting another one of these, but I was also looking at a TORO or EXMARK 21" mowers..

What do you gusy think between the two?

Toro/Exmark 21" Commercial or the Honda 216 again?

I'll be using the mulching system and bagging system..

2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Unless you don't mind modifying a new Honda so it will mulch your best bet would be the Toro because you get the mulching deflectors that don't come on the Exmark. I personally like the Honda engine on that machine unless you can find a 2 cycle, because it is lighter than the Kawasaki.

3. alpine692003

My 216 right now weighs just a little over 150lbs.. it takes 2 people to lift that puppy from the back of the truck onto the ground, lol..

I dont plan on modifying or any of that, I just bag a lot ... I like the BBC brake system, the engaging on the 216 so far.. but Iwouldn't mind trying something new out :)

4. MisterLandscape

MisterLandscape LawnSite Member

If you bag alot the BBC on the Honda can't be beat and I know Toro USED to have BBC but not sure of they still do and also Kubota had a 21" with a BBC a few years ago but not sure if its still around.

If you don't care about the BBC and want to bag and mulch Snapper Commercials can't be beat. They wrote the book on 21" mowers and are really simple in design and easy to fix. I really like their self-propelling--solid set up. Also, for bagging you can't beat their high-vac it will suck the sand out of the grass--seriously and their ninja mulching baldes are awesome. If you liek Honda power they made some last year with the 5.5 Honda and have a Kawi motor too. They are not goign to be havign the Honda power option on the 2005 models but the factory still have 04 Hondas at a great price (im a dealer we just bought a bunch so I know the facotry in GA still has them) So you could get snapper's legendary 21" mower and vac with a Honda just ask your dealer if he doesnt have one he should be able to get it. (only reason they were stopping the Honda is that there was goign to be a huge price increase on them this year so thye are stickign with just the Kawi motors on their commercial 21s)

goodluck--let us know what you buy Steve

5. alpine692003

Well, I'm trying to get the right kind of mower for next year.

I dont mind mulching with the gator blades and the blackflap door closed without the bag. I bag a lot as well and then toss the clippings in the back of the trailer and then off to the dump yard I go!

So what do you think is the best kind of mower to get for a 21"?

I need the BBC, bagging and mulching with gator blades.

:help:

6. MisterLandscape

If you need the BBC unless Kubota (been 7 or 8 years since i've seen one)and Toro still make a 21" with the BBC i'd say your only realy option is the Honda.

7. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Toro 21s have always been garbage in my opinion. Go for the Snapper 21" they are great, and no question the best for the money.

8. MisterLandscape

I really like the snappers too. I am a dealer for them so I just want to point that out so everyone knows I am alittle biased but I truly belive their 21s rock and they havent changed the design in years and years and years so parts are easy to come by and there are ALOT of rotary after market parts available.

Snapper makes 2 basica commercial modeal, one witha rear bag and is a dead ringer for the Honda style wise and aother with a betwen the handle bag system. Check out www.snapper.com If you like Honda engines the factory still has 2004s with the Honda commercial engine on them.

goodluck

9. s and s mowing

s and s mowing LawnSite Member
    from ky

i would like to find a 21 with a kaw engine,swivel front casters,bag mulch and side discharge.also i hear next spring one of the top companies are coming with a 26 in walk behind,came from horses mouth.

10. MisterLandscape

Snapper has made a 26" self propelled for several years...it has a single blade...in years past was offered with a Kawi but now only with B&S Intek. I think the B&S is a decent engine and if serviced properly should last a very long time, The price difference beteen the Kawi and B&S is enough that you can buy a spare B&S and come out even verses the Kawi. As good as the Kawi I have hard time beliving one Kawi would out last 2 B&S Inteks which have given good service on push leaf blowers for several years. (leaf blowers are an extreme use application) Check out www.snapper.com for pics. the drive ystem is the tried and true snapper that is easy to work on and hardly ever give a problem.