Purchasing price of clients?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DuckDuckGoose, Feb 18, 2009.

1. DuckDuckGoose

DuckDuckGoose LawnSite Member

There's a guy trying to sell 21 clients with a yearly gross of $37,280. He's asking $21,000 for them but there are no written contracts, only verbal agreements. All but two are residential. Are the clients worth that much?

2. IntegrityGuy

IntegrityGuy LawnSite Senior Member

Ask if he cares if you have all of his customers sign contracts and the ones that dont sign you dont want.

3. DuckDuckGoose

DuckDuckGoose LawnSite Member

Thats a good idea. Does the price of $1000 a client sound reasonable or is that too much?

4. Fife Lawn&Lane

Fife Lawn&Lane LawnSite Member

Can you afford to service those clients for the $16280 for the first year? ($37280-$21000=$16280) or $775/client average.
    His pricing works out to $1775/client I would be looking more in the 25-30% of total / client than his 56%. You also need to convert those to written contracts with you.
    Try countering his asking price with something like a %. So for every contract that signs with you pay him a % of the total seasonal amount.

5. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i'd give him 3k if they signed an agreement and they stayed the whole year. also have a clause to if they cancel you get a prorated portion back. goodluck. just think what 21000 in advertising would get you. a whole heck of a lot more than 21 customers.

6. burge19

burge19 LawnSite Member

Yeah i agree with lawn wizard if you advertised with that much money it would get you a lot more. Plus i think that seems way high for only 21 accounts

7. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I don't think they are worth near that much... and especially without written contracts. Without a contract on them and a contract from each of them okaying the switch, I wouldn't pay more than $100 each for them.

8. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

I would pay ONLY the amount of 3 cuts and ONLY for the ones who signed with me. if he doesnt have Contracts for these accounts then what are you going to pay for ? $21,000 for just 21 accounts that may go else where anyway ?

9. nickroqs

nickroqs LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Generally I don't like buying accounts, as there aren't really any guarantees that come with it. Money like that is probably better suited on advertising.

10. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

The REAL question is.. could you spend $1000 on advertizing and get 1 customer?? I think so... I think $100-$300 per customer is a more reasonable number.