purging air from Toro hydro

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Lbilawncare, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Toro Hydro Walk behind that will not go. The reservoir cracked so I replaced it and changed the fluid. I purged the air from the hydros through the dump valve but it still will not move. Can anyone recommend a way to purge the air through the system to fill the wheel motors. Also, what fluid do you use for max performance, I put the mobil fluid in it that it had originally. Thanks for your help !

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

It's best to use what the OEM recommends for oil.

Block the rear tires off the ground, Start the engine and run about 3/4 throttle. Move the controls full forward then full reverse slowly 10/12 times then lower the tires and test run.

Some say to perform this procedure with the dump (bypass) valves open but I never worried with doing this and have had no problems from not doing so.

3. Lbilawncare

Thanks Restorob !

4. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

When you open the hydro system and allow air in and close it back up and have no movement you really should jack the back up and flush the wheel motors then start it up!!

5. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

Just a quick thought... Make sure your pumps are not bypassed should have a little valve on each pump.

6. Lbilawncare

Thanks for your response. The hydros were not bypassed, I got it going great. Thanks guys !