1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Purging hydro pumps

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by nitro121, Sep 20, 2007.

1. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

Why do you need to jack up the mower and run the wheels/pumps w/ no weight?....why can't you just fill up the reserve tank and run the mower?

Just wondering the mechanics of it all. I purged the pumps last week but wondered about this.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I'll take a stab at this,

With the wheels off the ground there is no back pressure in the pump/wheel motor from trying to pull the units weight. This lets the fluid flow quicker/easier to push the air out of the system into the holding tank.

It is possible without the wheels up to cause a air pocket inside a pump or wheel motor. A air pocket means no fluid to lubricate and pump or wheel motor damage could ac-cure.
  3. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

To go along with what Rob already stated, I would think it is just a safer way to do the job also. I mean I can imagine unit on the ground rpms up and levers at full go(safety levers bypassed of course:hammerhead: ) and wheels not moving and person working on the unit starts to kind of look around to see whats going on and the unit takes off full hilt and smashes into everything in sight :cry: I bet it has probably already happened, anyone want to fess up :laugh: