purging system

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PTSolutions, Feb 23, 2008.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

we are putting together a bid for 4 Ruby Tuesday restaurant locations. the current company subcontracts an irrigation company to come and purge the system for winter prep. my question is what is a common price for something like that. the system wont be much larger than a medium to large sized residential system b/c of the limited area of grass. i can get my uncle to help out as he has installed multiple systems before. would a 20 gallon compressor be enough to purge? ive seen companies rent large tow behind compressors for residential systems.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Say, about $150 for a res-sized commercial, depending on the number of zones.

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Isn't it a little late to be winterizing?

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Not only that, do we need to see a list of your stuff?
    I'd pass right now...damage could already been done.

5. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Kiril, this is the time of year that bidding for next season happens, doubt he is trying to winterize now.

You can not compare any commercial job to a residential job :hammerhead:. Specially a food place where you will have to accommodate when the manager wants you to do the service and plan on the extra time it is going to take to get access to do the work. I would say $125-175.

AND NO, DON'T LOOK LIKE SOME HACK CHUMP WITH A 20 GALLON COMPRESSOR.

chump2.jpg

6. Mike Leary

ISC... service is service....who care's commercial or residential?

7. Flow Control

Laery,

My point was that even though the job may have a small amount of turf, that don't shot yourself in the foot by pricing it the same as a small residential job. You may not, but I put a premium on servicing commercial jobs that are usually found in congested area's and once you get there you have to strategically scout a parking spot to do the service then go inside and announce your intentions and then wait for your chaperon to let you in the areas you need to get to.

8. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

this bid is for the coming season, not trying to winterize now...

if the zones are small enough why would i need to go rent a tow behind compressor, wont that be overkill?

the restaurant opens at 11am every day, so access wont be a problem as we should be able to finish the locations by that time.

i was guessing around 100 bucks, seems i was pretty close, ill bring it up to 150. we give discounts if they sign a 2yr contract vs. 1 yr. and they will be giving us all the locations pretty much.

9. Flow Control

ProTouch,

You know a 20 gallon would do the job, didn't want to come off as being negative. Since irrigation is all we do, when someone mentions winterizing with a 20 gallon I look at it the same way as you would if you seen a station wagon rolling up on a job and pulling that 21 inch mower out of the back. And I think if you get $100-150 just for the winterization then you are in the ballpark. Are you flat rate pricing the start-up too, or going to price it hourly. I just wanted to post an image anyway, don't take it personal.

10. Mike Leary

Even tho it's not my real name, I'd like it spelled right.