Puring Concrete - Remove Grass 1st?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mpickel, Jan 14, 2008.

1. mpickel

mpickel LawnSite Member

I am sub-contracting some concrete work for a patio upgrade, the contractor said he would put down a 6mil plastic cover over the grass, and then put his base. There is 6"+ of room, so no excavation is necessary. Is he just being lazy by not removing the sod first, or is this common. I am in N. Texas, with clay soils. The total slab will be 28' x 18'.

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

The grass will die, then decompose, then the pad will settle and crack. For such a big area you'll probably want a sod cutter or something with a bucket. I wouldnt let him do it.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

No way I would get in that situation....sounds like trouble to me

wayne

4. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

Remove the sod or it will settle and crack on you. sand is cheap insurance and make sure they conpact the sand every four inches.

5. M&N Maintenance

M&N Maintenance LawnSite Member

What kind of warranty is he offering and how long has he been in business? I would still find another contractor. You need at least 4-6 inches of base in my area.

6. GradeMan

GradeMan LawnSite Member
    from canada

That guy is nuts, He must being trying to see how stupid you are, Tell him to do it right or find someone who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Never pour concrete over organic material.

That said, you won't need a base layer in texas for concrete.

8. AceFinish

AceFinish LawnSite Member

Our landscape company pours concrete weekly if he does not rip the sod out he should put atleast 2 inches of base on top of the sod it will die out and you will be okay

9. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

I'm from PA and I've always seen 3/4" clean base stone underneath. I would say to be safe, why not pull the sod and put at least some stone for drainage? Even though it may not freeze there I bet if it rain enough to may float. (shift) But I'm not a concrete guy.

10. monty33

monty33 LawnSite Member

Prior to installing concrete, ideally, you would want to remove sod, compact sub soil w/ a jumping jack, drop in some road base w/ a plate compactor, and pour steel reinforced concrete tying into any adjacent concrete if applicable. One thing you do not want to do is put down sand and compact according to a previous thread. Sand does not compact and has no real place under a concrete pour. Find a new concrete contractor.