1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Purple Leaf Sand Cherry Eaten Away?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by lewdo, Mar 6, 2006.

1. lewdo

lewdo LawnSite Member

Need your help folks. Got a call from a customer today. She states that sometime over the winter something has eaten 2 Sand Cherries I planted last spring. They were in 5 gallon containers, fairly good sized when I planted them. Her back yard is completed fenced in. The only possible thing that I believe could have happened is bucks may have rubbed their antlers on them during rut season, but to do this they would have had to jump her 6 foot high wooden privacy fence then jump back out. But they would not have eaten the trees. I'm going out tomorrow to look at them, but she says there is not once piece of either tree left in her yard.

Any ideas or past experience would greatly be appreciated. One last thing I should point out, I truly believe that something happened to them. By that I mean I'm sure she did not mow them down and now just making something up so she get's replacements for free.

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

If they have small teeth marks, it could have been voles or rabbits. BTW, I've seen deer jump an 8' fence with ease! I doubt deer did the damage though. Post a picture.
  3. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Vole will do it and so will porcupines.
  4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

5. amvega

amvega LawnSite Member

We had rabbits and ground hogs it our sand cherry's and other shrubs at our garden center before.
  6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Deer can jump that easy and then they tell their friends about it.YES they most assuredly would have eaten her trees
  7. lewdo

lewdo LawnSite Member

Well thanks for all the advice. The winner is RABBITS. I was out today to take a look and even found the rabbit. She is starting to build her nest right under a spruce and thought it would be nice to decorate in a little sand cherry.....tomorrow I go hunting rabbit.....thanks again everyone for your thoughts.
  8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You leave that poor little bunny alone!
  9. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Rabbits? yum crunchy and good with ketchup.

I would live trap it and keep it nice and fresh :)