Purple People Eater

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Jul 12, 2007.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Had the first opportunity to use our new purple "official" marking paint during a locate. Sure is bright... and sure is pretty. :laugh:

Purple Spray Paint IV-01.jpg

Purple Spray Paint IV-02.jpg

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

So they pay you $60/hr to go paint valvebox lids?

Sign me up :D

3. PurpHaze

They pay me to witch, trace, locate and THEN paint up everything. :laugh:

4. Is this how they are going to remember you after you leave?THAT PURPLE MARKING PAINT REMINDS ME OF OLE PURPHAZE. THE GREATEST IRRIGATOR THESE PARTS HAVE EVER KNOWN.

5. PurpHaze

"I'm easily replaced" is what any administrator will tell you. They'll have their hands so full trying to figure out what's in the ground that they'll never miss me. :laugh:

6. Now here's a question....

In the pic, you spray painted it purple, the cover marked water, my question is, do you think that some smart Aleck person may interpret this to mean that that valve is part of a recycled watering system?

Purple is the color that you're supposed to use on any valve box and sprinkler head top when the irrigation system is part of a recycled watering system. I know you're just marking stuff off, but you never know.

7. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Say Purp, who claims to call that purple "official"?

8. PurpHaze

You guys must of missed the thread where we were talking about these very things. The color purple for irrigation was first found by Mike Leary on the web page of his underground utilities locating authority for the Pacific Northwest. I also went to USA Locate's web page who do California and Nevada and confirmed this for my area. Purple is the recommended color for reclaimed water, irrigation and slurry drains by both these authorities. I then went out and ordered two cases of the stuff. :)

9. PurpHaze

Just to clarify a little more... It makes no difference to me exactly what they think. I assume normal irrigation water was included with reclaimed water under the purple designation since technically they would both be non-potable sources.

If you have an irrigation system on domestic water I guess you'd mark everything blue up to the backflow and then purple after that. :)

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Purp will be replaced by two people each making half of his current wage, and they'll only do 1/3 of the work...:)